SBAC CDE News
- Sample Items and Performance Tasks Released on October 9
The SBAC CDE weekly update is an email sent each week to inform California educators and parents of new developments and upcoming events. Please feel free to share information in the update with those who are interested in the SBAC CDE’s work.
- Sample Items and Performance Tasks Released on October 9 — Starting October 9, the sample items and performance tasks can be accessed from the SBAC website. Help desk support will be provided through November 2 during the hours of 7:00 a.m. eastern and 8:00 p.m. eastern Monday through Friday. Sample items and performance tasks will provide the first look at next-generation assessments. The samples illustrate the rigor and complexity of the English language arts/literacy and mathematics items and performance tasks students will encounter on the SBAC assessments. They will also signal to educators the shifts in instruction that will be required to help students meet the demands of the Common Core and the new assessments. It is important to note that the sample items and tasks will be presented in an online portal that does not include accessibility tools and accommodations options under development for the operational assessment system in the 2014-15 school year. Over the next several months — guided by the SBAC’s Accessibility and Accommodations Work Group and advisory committees for English language learners and students with disabilities — SBAC will finalize the accessibility tools and accommodations options available through the test delivery system.
SBAC CDE Resources
- Join the SBAC CDE electronic mailing list by sending a blank e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- To receive Common Core State Standards CDE Updates via e-mail notification, subscribe to the from CDE listserv by sending a blank message to email@example.com.
- SBAC CDE Web site — The Smarter Balanced CDE Web site includes access to archived SBAC CDE Updates, resources, and presentations.
- SBAC External Web site — The Smarter Balanced external Web site showcases the SBAC work and provides frequent updates on activities, milestones, and events.
- Smarter News, the SBAC's monthly eNewsletter — Smarter Balanced provides monthly updates on the development of the Smarter Balanced assessment system and activities in member states.
- SBAC is on Twitter — Follow @SmarterBalanced to get resources and links to the latest SBAC news.
- New Resources and Webinars on Standards and Assessments—Student Achievement Partners released ready-to-use professional development modules to assist educators in the implementation of the Common Core State Standards. These modules contain resources for educators, including research, discussion topics, activities, web and video tools, and more.
- SBAC Update Webinar — A recently recorded webinar with Joe Willhoft provides an overview of the Consortium’s work and upcoming milestones. The 30-minute presentation covers progress on test design and development; special populations; technology infrastructure; procurement; and collaboration and partnerships.
- California Districts Selected for SBAC Small Scale Trials — California districts that were randomly selected for SBAC Small Scale Trial are posted on the CDE Web site.
SBAC Question/Answer of the Week
Q. How will visitors access the sample items and performance tasks?
A: SBAC sample items and performance tasks will be accessed through the SBAC Web site beginning October 9. The samples will be displayed in a simulated test platform that will allow users to interact with and score selected items and tasks. The site will be compatible with common Internet browsers, and a full list of compatible browsers will be available. In addition, SBAC is working with software developers to convert graphics into a format that is compatible with popular tablet devices. Regardless of the requirements to access the sample items and tasks, a variety of eligible computers and tablet devices will be compatible with the operational assessment in the 2014-15 school year. Additional information is available in the Smarter Balanced new hardware purchasing guidelines .