SBAC CDE News
The California Department of Education (CDE) Smarter Balanced update is a bi-weekly email that reports on current and upcoming Smarter Balanced development activities. To join the CDE Smarter Balanced electronic mailing list, send a blank e-mail to: email@example.com.
In this issue:
- Draft Initial Achievement Level Descriptors Released for Public Review
- Pilot Test Participation Opportunities for Schools
- Release of Minimum Technology Requirements
Draft Initial Achievement Level Descriptors Released for Public Review
- Smarter Balanced released its draft initial achievement level descriptors for public comment on November 27, 2012. The public comment period runs through January 15, 2013.
- On November 30, 2012 a notification letter from the State Superintendent of Public Instruction was e-mailed to Local Educational Agency (LEA) superintendents and charter school administrators.
- Please see the draft achievement level descriptors and online survey for providing feedback.
- Smarter Balanced will host a public Webinar on December 17 from 12:30 p.m. to 2:00 p.m. to provide an overview of achievement level descriptors. Registration for this Webinar can be completed online at the above Web address.
Pilot Test Participation Opportunities for Schools
- The Smarter Balanced Pilot Test is scheduled to take place February 20 through May 10, 2013 in grades 3-11. Smarter Balanced will select schools for the pilot test using two approaches or components:
- The “Scientific” component targets a representative sample of schools and yields critical data about the items developed to date as well as about how the system is functioning. Through January 2013, schools selected through the scientific component will be contacted by a Smarter Balanced vendor to confirm their participation in the Pilot Test.
- The “Volunteer” component will be open to all schools in Smarter Balanced states and will ensure that all schools have the opportunity to experience the basic functionality of the system. Interested schools can volunteer to participate via the online survey .
- LEAs should direct questions about the Pilot Test to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Release of Minimum Technology Requirements
- Today Smarter Balanced released its minimum hardware and software requirements for existing computers. These requirements are part of “The Smarter Balanced Technology Strategy Framework and System Requirements Specifications” report located on the Smarter Balanced Technology Web site .
- Questions about the minimum technology requirements should be directed to: email@example.com.
Online SBAC Resources
- Common Core State Standards listserv - To receive CDE updates on the Common Core State Standards, subscribe to the CDE listserv by sending a blank message to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- CDE SBAC Web site - The CDE SBAC Web site contains archived CDE Smarter Balanced updates, resources, and presentations.
- SBAC External Web site - The SBAC external Web site showcases the SBAC work and provides frequent updates on activities, milestones, and events.
- SBAC Monthly eNewsletter .
- SBAC is on Twitter - Follow @SmarterBalanced to get resources and links to the latest SBAC news.