SBAC E-mail Update Issue 71TSD annual Review package automatic description.
SBAC CDE News
The California Department of Education (CDE) Smarter Balanced update is a bimonthly e-mail that reports on current and upcoming Smarter Balanced development activities. To join the CDE Smarter Balanced e-mail list, send a blank e-mail to email@example.com.
In this issue:
- Spring 2014 Field Test: Participation Expectations
- Frequently Asked Questions for the Smarter Balanced Usability, Accessibility, and Accommodations Guidelines
Spring 2014 Field Test: Participation Expectations
During the spring 2014 Field Test, five percent of students will take items from one content area (i.e., English-language arts or mathematics) and ninety-five percent of students will take items from both content areas. The participation expectations for the spring 2014 Field Test are as follows:
- Grades three through eight. All students, including those selected for the scientific sample, are expected to participate.
- Grades nine and ten. Only students in the scientific sample are expected to participate.
- Grade eleven. Students selected for the scientific sample are expected to participate; all other students are encouraged to participate.
Local educational agency (LEA) staff can direct questions about the Smarter Balanced Field Test to the California Technical Assistance Center (CalTAC) by phone at 800-955-2954 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Frequently Asked Questions for the Smarter Balanced Usability, Accessibility, and Accommodations Guidelines
Smarter Balanced has just released a set of frequently asked questions (FAQs) and answers to accompany the Usability, Accessibility, and Accommodations Guidelines. The Guidelines document, which was approved by Smarter Balanced governing states in September 2013, provides three categories of support for students taking the Smarter Balanced assessments: universal tools, designated supports, and accommodations. These supports are intended to be used beginning with the spring 2014 Field Test. The Guidelines and accompanying FAQs are available on the CDE Smarter Balanced Web page.
Additional information about Smarter Balanced is available on the CDE Smarter Balanced Web page. General questions about the Smarter Balanced assessments should be directed to the CDE California Assessment of Student Performance and Progress Office by phone at 916-445-8765 or by e-mail at email@example.com.