Grade TwoVisual and Performing Arts: Music Content Standards.
1.0 ARTISTIC PERCEPTION
Processing, Analyzing, and Responding to Sensory Information Through the Language and Skills Unique to Music
Students read, notate, listen to, analyze, and describe music and other aural information, using the terminology of music.
Read and Notate Music
- 1.1 Read, write, and perform simple rhythmic patterns, using eighth notes, quarter notes, half notes, and rests.
- 1.2 Read, write, and perform simple patterns of pitch, using solfege.
Listen to, Analyze, and Describe Music
- 1.3 Identify ascending/descending melody and even/uneven rhythm patterns in selected pieces of music.
- 1.4 Identify simple musical forms, emphasizing verse/refrain, AB, ABA.
- 1.5 Identify visually and aurally individual wind, string, brass, and percussion instruments used in a variety of music.
2.0 CREATIVE EXPRESSION
Creating, Performing, and Participating in Music
Students apply vocal and instrumental musical skills in performing a varied repertoire of music. They compose and arrange music and improvise melodies, variations, and accompaniments, using digital/electronic technology when appropriate.
Apply Vocal and Instrumental Skills
- 2.1 Sing with accuracy in a developmentally appropriate range.
- 2.2 Sing age-appropriate songs from memory.
- 2.3 Play rhythmic ostinatos on classroom instruments.
Compose, Arrange, and Improvise
- 2.4 Improvise simple rhythmic and melodic accompaniments, using voice and a variety of classroom instruments.
3.0 HISTORICAL AND CULTURAL CONTEXT
Understanding the Historical Contributions and Cultural Dimensions of Music
Students analyze the role of music in past and present cultures throughout the world, noting cultural diversity as it relates to music, musicians, and composers.
Role of Music
- 3.1 Identify the uses of specific music in daily or special events.
Diversity of Music
- 3.2 Sing simple songs and play singing games from various cultures.
- 3.3 Describe music from various cultures.
4.0 AESTHETIC VALUING
Responding to, Analyzing, and Making Judgments About Works of Music
Students critically assess and derive meaning from works of music and the performance of musicians according to the elements of music, aesthetic qualities, and human responses.
Analyze and Critically Assess
- 4.1 Use the terminology of music in discussing individual preferences for specific music.
- 4.2 Create developmentally appropriate movements to express pitch, tempo, form, and dynamics in music.
- 4.3 Identify how musical elements communicate ideas or moods.
- 4.4 Respond to a live performance with appropriate audience behavior.
5.0 CONNECTIONS, RELATIONSHIPS, APPLICATIONS
Connecting and Applying What Is Learned in Music to Learning in Other Art Forms and Subject Areas and to Careers
Students apply what they learn in music across subject areas. They develop competencies and creative skills in problem solving, communication, and management of time and resources that contribute to lifelong learning and career skills. They also learn about careers in and related to music.
Connections and Applications
- 5.1 Identify similar themes in stories, songs, and art forms (e.g., patterns, texture).
Careers and Career-Related Skills
- 5.2 Identify and discuss who composes and performs music.