ESMC Third Field ReviewComments will be received from December 7, 2020, through January 21, 2021.
At its November 18-19, 2020, meeting, the Instructional Quality Commission (IQC) recommended 240 changes to the draft Ethnic Studies Model Curriculum (ESMC) in response to more than 57,000 public comments including those with suggested line edits received over an 18-month development process. The IQC further recommended a 45-day public comment period on the revised draft that includes the IQC’s changes. Please direct your comments to this draft.
- The Model Curriculum (preface) (DOCX)
- Chapter 1: Introduction and Overview (DOCX)
- Chapter 2: District Implementation Guidance (DOCX)
- Chapter 3: Instructional Guidance for K–12 Education (DOCX)
- Chapter 4: Bibliography (DOCX)
- Appendix A: Sample Lessons and Topics (DOCX)
- Appendix B: Lesson Resources (DOCX)
- Appendix C: UC-Approved Course Outlines (DOCX)
Following this third and final field review, CDE will present a final draft and a summary of public comments to the State Board of Education (SBE) at its March 17-18, 2021 meeting.
All written comments on the draft will be made available to SBE members prior to the meeting. Personal contact information such as emails, phone numbers, and addresses will be redacted. Duplicate comments (e.g., form letters or preprinted postcards) may be tallied and posted as a single copy with a note indicating the total number received.
Commenters may submit comments using the following methods:
- Via email to email@example.com. This is the preferred method of receiving comment.
- Via telephone at 916-319-0243. You may leave a comment at that number. Staff will record the content of the comment, but the actual voicemail will not be forwarded to members of the SBE.
Via physical mail at
State Board of Education
c/o California Department of Education
Curriculum Frameworks and Instructional Resources Division
1430 N Street, Suite 3207
Sacramento, CA 95814
Please note that for security reasons we cannot forward hyperlinks to personal mailboxes or online storage sites; any such links will be redacted. Please include the full content of your comment either in your email or as an attachment.