OverviewMore information about Recommended Literature: Pre-K-12.
The California Department of Education (CDE) coordinated the development of Recommended Literature: Prekindergarten Through Grade Twelve with the assistance of teachers, library media teachers employed by schools and public libraries, administrators, curriculum planners, and parents. Thousands of selections were reviewed before the list was finalized. The titles represent various types of literature related to all curriculum disciplines. These selected titles should not be viewed as an all-inclusive list. New and exciting selections of literature become available every day. CDE will periodically review and update this list to keep it current.
The purposes of the recommended literature list are to:
- Encourage students to read literature related to all curriculum areas and to view such reading as a worthwhile activity.
- Help students choose quality literature to further their understanding of all curricular areas.
- Aid parents in choosing quality literature to enhance and extend their child's understanding of all curricular areas.
- Help school curriculum planners and teachers select and infuse literature into all classes.
- Promote the cross-curricular connection between English language arts curriculum and all curricular areas.
The 2016 list update adds approximately 285 award-winning titles that were conferred awards between the last full-scale update in 2012 and in the summer of 2016 when a small committee of experts in children’s literature was convened to specifically focus on updating the list with current award-winning titles only. This list has been updated in the following ways:
- Award-winning contemporary titles have been added to make the list more comprehensive, expanding options for classroom teachers, librarians, and students.
- Additional titles that reflect the intention of the FAIR Act are included in the list.
- An Excel file of all the titles and their associated data points (author, copyright date, classification, etc.) is now available in a downloadable file provided at the bottom of the search results page.
- An instructional Webinar that describes the purpose of the list and offers guidance in searching the list for titles.
- A literature list e-mail is made available to the list’s users for immediate support concerning list questions and issues.
- Appropriate contemporary titles have been added to make the list more comprehensive, expanding options for classroom teachers, librarians, and students.
- Titles no longer in print or readily accessible in schools and libraries have been noted.
- Titles have been selected that reflect current research and understandings in all curricular areas.
- Among the considerations for selection of titles for this list were opportunities for augmenting standards-aligned instruction.
Some annotations were taken from Web sites such as the Association for Library Services to Children , the Library of Congress’ Online Catalog , Follett Library Resources , book award-related sites, and others.