May 13, 2020
Dear Assistant Secretary Stump:
Pursuant to section 3511 of Division A of the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act (CARES Act), Pub. L. No. 116-136, 134 Stat. 281 (Mar. 27, 2020), I am writing to request a waiver on behalf of the State educational agency (SEA) and its subgrantees (e.g., local educational agencies (LEAs), other agencies and organizations, and institutions of higher education) of section 421(b) of the General Education Provisions Act (GEPA), to extend the period of availability of Fiscal Year (FY) 2018 funds for programs in which the SEA participates as the eligible agency until September 30, 2021. The programs are (check the programs for which the waiver is requested):
- State grants authorized by Title I of the Carl D. Perkins Career and Technical Education Act of 2006
- State grants authorized by Title II of the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (i.e., the Adult Education and Family Literacy Act)
I am requesting this (these) waiver(s) because it is not possible to obligate funds on a timely basis, as originally planned, due to extensive school and program disruptions in the State. These disruptions are in response to extraordinary circumstances for which a national emergency related to the COVID-19 pandemic has been duly declared by the President of the United States under the Robert T. Stafford Disaster Relief and Emergency Assistance Act, P.L. 100-707, and will protect the health and safety of students, staff, and our communities.
In seeking these waivers, I assure that:
- The SEA will use, and ensure that its subgrantees will use, funds under the respective programs in accordance with the provisions of all applicable statutes, regulations, program plans, and applications not subject to these waivers;
- The SEA will work to mitigate, and ensure that its subgrantees will work to mitigate, any negative effects, if any, that may occur as a result of the requested waiver(s); and
- The SEA will provide the public and all subgrantees in the State with notice of, and the opportunity to comment on, this request by posting information regarding the waiver request and the process for commenting on the State website.
Thank you for your consideration.
Director of Career and College Transisiton Division