VAPA Focus Group QuestionsAt each focus group meeting, the focus group members will address a set of questions regarding the content of the revised Visual and Performing Arts Framework for the California Public Schools.
Arts Framework Focus Group Discussion Questions
2020 Revision of the Visual and Performing Arts Framework for California Public Schools, Kindergarten Through Grade Twelve (Arts Framework)
- Conceptual Shifts: Major conceptual shifts in the California Arts Standards for Public Schools, Prekindergarten Through Grade Twelve (CAS) include a focus on process and student learning framed by enduring understandings and essential questions. What guidance should the revised framework provide to teachers to support standards-based instruction?
- Supporting All Students: How should the Arts Framework support providing access to standards-based arts curriculum for all students, including students with disabilities, English language learners, gifted students, and other student groups?
- Assessment: Assessment of student learning is essential for teaching and learning. What information would you include in the Arts Framework to support effective assessment of student learning in the arts within the classroom?
- Developing Arts Programs: What type of guidance should the Arts Framework provide for a Local Education Agency that is developing arts programs including discrete and integrated programs, and regarding how to bridge instruction in the grades between K–5 and 9–12 to allow for general arts instruction and for specialization in an arts form?
- Arts Integration: How should the Arts Framework support educators, especially multiple subject credentialed teachers, in designing and implementing instruction for arts integration while also ensuring sequential learning in the arts?
- Media Arts: Media arts standards may be embedded in the instruction of other arts disciplines, and media arts are now considered a discrete arts form. What guidance should the Arts Framework provide to support the distinction between creating through the use of technology in other arts forms and addressing the media arts standards?
- Additional Guidance: Finally, what other guidance, that does not fit in any of the questions above, would you suggest to ensure the Arts Framework will support sequential kindergarten through grade twelve standards-based instruction and curriculum aligned to the CAS?
Necessary Background Reading
- The 2019 California Arts Standards (to be posted for public review on August 1)
- NCAS Framework (especially Section I, pages 8–16, which includes a discussion of enduring understandings and essential questions)
Members of the Public
The public at large, and members of the public who are attending or participating at the focus group sites, will have an opportunity to provide public comment to the above questions. The public may also email their comments on these questions or other issues related to the revision of the Arts Framework to email@example.com by September 14, 2018, to be included in the public comments that will be forwarded to the Instructional Quality Commission and the State Board of Education.