Dear Select CBEDS Coordinators:
California Basic Educational Data System Resources and Responsibilities
This letter is to inform California Basic Educational Data System (CBEDS) Coordinators of their responsibilities for collecting and submitting CBEDS data and to provide coordinators with the resources they need to ensure a timely and successful submission of 2020-21 CBEDS data. CBEDS data represent current school year data, as well as future projections. The CBEDS data collection begins on Information Day, October 7, 2020, and data are to be submitted to the California Department of Education (CDE) on or before October 30, 2020.
As your local educational agency’s (LEAs) CBEDS Coordinator, it is your responsibility to:
- Participate in the 40-minute online CBEDS training.
- Provide CBEDS summary reports to the appropriate staff for review and approval prior to submission to the CDE.
- Ensure that accurate data for your IRC are submitted in a timely fashion using the CBEDS Online Reporting Application (CBEDS-ORA).
- Serve as the point of contact for any questions about the data submitted.
- Maintain CBEDS contact information through CBEDS-ORA.
In order to successfully complete the 2020-21 CBEDS data collection, CBEDS Coordinators should review the following, all of which are accessible via the CDE CBEDS web page at http://www.cde.ca.gov/ds/dc/cb/index.asp:
- The CBEDS Administrative Manual
- CBEDS Frequently Asked Questions
- The Changes to the Fall 2020 CBEDS Data Collection letter, dated June 2, 2020.
- The CBEDS training, which is a video consisting of Microsoft PowerPoint with voice-over narration and may be viewed at your leisure. The 2020-21 training will be available in September.
- Any additional resources the CDE makes available via the CDE CBEDS web, such as forms, letters, policies, and guidelines.
CBEDS Online Reporting Application
CBEDS School Information Form (SIF) data are collected through CBEDS-ORA. This online application contains formatted data entry screens, built-in validation checks, current and prior year data reports, and the ability to import and export data files. The CBEDS-ORA is located on the CDE website at http://www3.cde.ca.gov/opuscbeds/login.aspx.
This application requires a user name and password to access the system. Your CDE-assigned LEA user name and password were provided via email in July. If you do not have your username or password, utilize the Retrieve Username/Password option on the CBEDS-ORA logon page, or contact CBEDS staff.
If we can be of any assistance as you prepare for the 2020-21 CBEDS data collection, or should you have any questions regarding the content of this letter, please contact CBEDS staff in the CBEDS/CDS Support Office by email at email@example.com.
Shana Yeary, Manager
CBEDS/CDS Support Office