Survey Template for 2018–19 CTE CompletersInstructions and template for surveying CTE completers.
Instructions for the 2018–19 CTE Completer Postsecondary Status Survey Template
The Strengthening Career and Technical Education for the 21st Century Act (Perkins V) established new career technical education (CTE) performance indicators and modified federal reporting requirements (formerly, E2 reporting) for CTE Completers. All local educational agencies (LEAs) operating CTE programs are now required to submit postsecondary status data of their CTE Completers, regardless of whether they received Perkins V funding. Both the CTE Incentive Grant (CTEIG) and the Kindergarten through Grade Twelve Strong Workforce Program (K–12 SWP) grant programs require LEAs to annually submit additional CTE Completer information to the California Department of Education (CDE) to remain eligible for future funding. To alleviate the administrative burden of collecting CTE Completer data for three separate programs, the CDE has created the CTE Completer Postsecondary Status Survey template (see below). Please use this template to survey your CTE Completers.
Once all of the data has been compiled, the LEA will submit the student-level data for questions 1, 3, 4, 5, and 6 into their Student Information System and then export the data into the California Longitudinal Pupil Achievement Data System (CALPADS) through the Postsecondary Status (PSTS) file. The student-level data collected by the LEAs for questions 2, 7, 8, and 9 must be aggregated (total of every answer to each question) and submitted through a Snap Survey developed by the CDE. The survey is posted here: Career Technical Education Completers Postsecondary Status Follow-Up Survey for 2018–19. Beginning next year (2020–21), all CTE Completer Postsecondary Status data will be reported in CALPADS.
Reporting LEAs are required to survey all CTE Completers who were in the 2018–19 four-year Adjusted Cohort Graduation Rate (ACGR). The ACGR is comprised of students who exited secondary education in 2018–19, completed a CTE sequence of courses of 300 hours or more, and passed the capstone course. This should include any student who was a CTE Completer at any time during high school, and left 12th grade in 2018–19 with a School Completion status, meeting one of the following criteria listed below. The numbers cited in parentheses in this list are the corresponding CALPADS codes, which are cited here as well as on the survey template, in order to help LEA CALPADS staff map survey responses for reporting to CALPADS in the PSTS file. The LEA’s CALPADS staff can help identify these students.
- Graduated, standard high school (HS) diploma (CALPADS School Completion Status Code 100)
- Students with Disabilities Certification of Completion (CALPADS School Completion Status Code 120)
- Adult education HS diploma (CALPADS School Completion Status Code 250)
- Received a HS Equivalency Certificate (CALPADS School Completion Status Code 320)
- Passed the California HS Proficiency Exam (and no standard diploma) (CALPADS School Completion Status Code 330)
- Completed grade twelve without completing graduation requirements, not grad (CALPADS School Completion Status Code 360)
If you have any questions regarding this survey template, please contact the CTE Leadership Support Office by phone via phone 916-322-5050, or email at email@example.com.
The survey template is directly below. PDF and MS Word versions of the survey template are available via links at the bottom of this web page.
CTE Completer Postsecondary Status Survey Template
Questions 1, 3, 4, 5, and 6 will be reported into your Student Information System and exported into the CALPADS through the Postsecondary Status (PSTS) file.
- Are you enrolled in one of the following educational or training programs? Select the one that best applies. If you are not enrolled in any educational or training program, do not check any.
- Four-year College/University (map to CALPADS Postsecondary Status Code 200)
- Community college (map to CALPADS Postsecondary Status Code 210)
- Vocational or technical school (two-year degree program) (map to CALPADS Postsecondary Status Code 220)
- High School Equivalency Test Preparation Program (map to CALPADS Postsecondary Status Code 300)
- Vocational or technical school (certificate program) (map to CALPADS Postsecondary Status Code 310)
- Regional Occupational Program (ROP) (map to CALPADS Postsecondary Status Code 320)
- Work Force Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA) Supported Program (map to CALPADS Postsecondary Status Code 330)
- Non-Workability Employment Program (map to CALPADS Postsecondary Status Code 340)
- Adult Training Program (map to CALPADS Postsecondary Status Code 350)
- If you checked one of the above for question 1, was the program:
- Private Nonprofit
- For Profit
- Are you enlisted in the military? (If response is "yes," map to CALPADS Postsecondary Status Code 400)
- Are you incarcerated? (If response is "yes," map to CALPADS Postsecondary Status Code 900)
- Are you employed?
- Yes, Full-time or part-time employment with compensation at or above minimum wage (map to CALPADS Postsecondary Status Code 910)
- Yes, Full-time or part-time employment with compensation less than minimum wage (map to CALPADS Postsecondary Status Code 920)
- If none of the above options apply, check one of the following:
- None of the options apply (map to CALPADS Postsecondary Status Code 940)
- I decline to respond (map to CALPADS Postsecondary Status Code 960)
- If you are employed, what type of business or in what field are you employed? Check which industry that best represents the type of employment)
- Agriculture and Natural Resources
- Arts, Media, and Entertainment
- Building and Construction Trades
- Business and Finance
- Education, Child Development, and Family Services
- Energy, Environment, and Utilities
- Engineering and Architecture
- Fashion and Interior Design
- Information and Communication Technologies
- Health Science and Medical Technology
- Hospitality, Tourism, and Recreation
- Manufacturing and Product Development
- Marketing, Sales, and Service
- Public Services
- Other (Please specify)
- Are you enrolled in one of the following? (Only check if applicable):
- Peace Corps
- Ameri Corps
- A State Apprenticeship program
- Other job training program
- Have you received one of the following?
- Industry-recognized credential (e.g., ServSafe, NIMS*, AWS**, etc.)
- Certificate issued by a post-secondary institution
- License issued by the State of California (e.g., Cosmetology, CNA***, etc.)
- Other measure of technical skill attainment (e.g., third-party certification, NOCTI****, Certiport, etc.)
- None of the above
* NIMS: National Institute for Metalworking Skills
** AWS: American Welding Society
*** CNA: Certified Nursing Assistant
**** NOCTI: National Occupational Competency Testing Institute
Questions 2, 7, 8, and 9 will be reported through this Snap Survey developed by the CDE: Career Technical Education Completers Postsecondary Status Follow-Up Survey for 2018–19