Agenda Item 4 - Evacuation Request for ActionNovember 6, 2019 Disability Advisory Committee Meeting Agenda Item 4 Attachment.
SSPI Briefing—Summary Information
- Problem/Issue: Many non-ambulatory people are located on floors 2-6 in the 1430 N street building and current CDE procedure requires them to wait near a stair well during a serious evacuation.
- Proposed Solution: Implement a “Phase II emergency in-car operation in accordance with ASME A17.1/CSA B44” to allow elevator evacuation for non-ambulatory people.
- Relevant Background: Years ago, a request was made to the CDE DAC to implement evacuation alternatives besides requiring non-ambulatory persons to wait at the stairwell. During the course of the past years the DAC has looked into evacuation chairs and that more modern buildings over 6 stories must include in-car elevator evacuation.
- Related Concerns/Complications: Potential unidentified technical issues make it costly to implement the Phase II emergency in-car operation.
- Supports/Opposes: No opposition has been identified.
- Any Other Asks: Evacuation chair installation could be simultaneously investigated to use in case the elevator lobby is blocked during evacuation.
Questions: Disability Advisory Committee | DAC@cde.ca.gov
Last Reviewed: Thursday, October 24, 2019