Partnership for 21st Century SkillsThis page contains resources that promote career readiness and 21st century skills for all students.
Partnership for 21st Century Skills
California joins Partnership for 21st Century State Leadership Network to help prepare students for Common Core State Standards and Career Readiness Standards
California is one of the 19 States that are working together with the Partnership for 21st Century Skills (P21) to promote real world 21st Century learning.
Founded in 2001, P21 is a national organization based in Washington, D.C. It serves as a catalyst in the 21st Century Education movement, working with business, educators, parents, and government to insure that all students are prepared with the rigorous content knowledge and broad curricula they will need for college and career readiness and global citizenship.
Link to Press Release - Superintendent of Public Instruction Tom Torlakson Announces California Joins National Partnership to Teach 21st Century Skills.
Partnership for 21st Century Skills Framework DefinitionsThe P21 Framework was developed to help practitioners integrate skills into the teaching of core academic subjects. The Partnership has developed a unified, collective vision for learning known as the Framework for 21st Century Learning.
This Framework describes the skills, knowledge, and expertise students must master to succeed in work and life: it is a blend of content knowledge specific skills, expertise and literacies. The essential skills for success in today’s world include the following:
- Learning and Innovation Skills: The Four C’s
- Critical Thinking
- Creativity, often supplemented by others such as Citizenship, Character, Compassion, and Civics, Life and Career skills, and Information, Media, and Technical Skills.
These skills are learned across the expanded core subjects, essential for all students in the 21st Century. These include:
- English, Reading or Language Arts
- World Languages
- Government and Civics
21st Century Themes include:
- Global Awareness
- Financial, Economic, Business, and Entrepreneurial Literacy
- Civic Literacy
- Health Literacy
- Environmental Literacy
- Partnership for 21st Century Skills
- A Blueprint for Great Schools
- Common Core State Standards
- Career Technical Education Standards
- Career Readiness Campaign