ESEA, Title III, Part A, English Learners (EL)Consolidated Application Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA), Title III, Part A, English Learners legal assurances for fiscal year 2017–18.
ESEA, Title III, Part A, English Learner
- The local educational agency (LEA) receiving Title III English Learner (EL) funds agrees to use the funds to increase the English language proficiency of ELs, provide effective professional development, and implement effective parent, family, and community engagement activities and strategies that enhance or supplement language instruction educational programs for ELs. (20 United States Code (USC) §6825(c); Public Law (PL) 114-95, §3115 (c)) Subject to this subsection, the LEA also may use the funds to achieve any of the authorized activities described in 20 USC §6825(c)(d).
- The LEA may use no more than 2 percent of the EL student subgrant for administrative costs and indirect costs for a fiscal year. (20 USC §6825(b); PL 114-95, §3115(b))
- LEA related indirect expenses may not exceed LEA’s approved indirect cost rate. A list of approved indirect cost rates are available on the California Department of Education (CDE) Indirect Cost Rates (ICR) web page.
- The LEA is not in violation of any state law, including State constitutional law, regarding the education of EL children, consistent with 20 USC §6826(b)(4)(B); PL 114-95, §3116(b)(4)(B).
- The LEA shall provide the CDE with a report every fiscal year addressing all elements under 20 USC §6841(a); PL 114-95, §3121(a).
Questions: Education Data Office | firstname.lastname@example.org | 916-319-0297
Last Reviewed: Friday, June 14, 2019