Ins: Notification Authorization of SWPConsolidated Application Winter Release instructions for the 2018–19 Title I, Part A Notification of Authorization of Schoolwide Program (SWP) form.
Data Collection Purpose
This form provides notification to the California Department of Education (CDE) of a school's eligibility and local board approval to operate under and report as Schoolwide Program (SWP).Note: This form must be certified annually even if no changes are made.
A local educational agency (LEA) may consolidate and use funds under Title I, Part A together with other Federal, State, and local funds, in order to upgrade the entire educational program of a SWP school that serves not less than 40 percent of children from low income families [Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) Section 1114(a)(1)(A)]. LEAs may approve a school that has a low income percentage below 40 to operate a SWP if the school meets the criteria established by the CDE (ESSA Section 1114(a)(1)(B)).
Current authorized SWP:
- The local governing board approval date must remain the date of initial approval. The low income percentage can be update to reflect current school poverty levels. If no changes are needed, then the form must still be certified.
- If a school has been authorized to operate as a SWP prior to July 1, 2018 and they fall below the 40 percent low income threshold, then they will retain SWP status for the following school year. However, if that school falls below the 40 percent low income threshold for two consecutive school years, then they must apply for a SWP Waiver.
- LEAs may update the low income percentage for each school, but do not need to update the local governing board date of their SWP Plan in the Consolidated Application and Reporting System (CARS).
Newly authorized SWP:
- Information must be provided only for schools being designated as SWP with a low income percentage of 40 percent or greater. Enter the local board approval date of the initial SWP Plan. The local board approval must occur on or before February 28, 2019. A school can begin to operate as a SWP on the day the local governing board approved the SWP Plan.
School Improvement Grant (SIG) approved SWP:
- If the low income percentage is below 40 percent and the school has received a SIG with local board approval, then the school can be authorized as SWP.
order for a Targeted Assistance school to apply for a SWP Waiver the school must meet one or more of the following criteria:
- ≥25 percent student low income
- Graduation rate is below state average
- Local governing board recommends that a SWP is the best way to serve the student population
- ≥30 percent English learner student population
- School has been identified for comprehensive or targeted support
- School has been identified as the lowest 5 percent of low performing schools
The LEA will indicate on the form in CARS the dates of when the local governing board approved the SWP Waiver and SWP Plan. A school may begin to operate as a SWP on the day the local governing board approved the SWP Plan.
CDE Program Staff Contact
Education Research and Evaluation Consultant
Title I Policy and Program Guidance Office
Education Programs Consultant
Title I Policy and Program Guidance Office
Displayed Data - Source Data
School name and School code: Source data from the CDE California School Directory web-based application.
Authorized, Local board approved date, Low income percent (%), SIG approved date, and SWP waiver approved date: These editable fields are pre-populated with data from the prior fiscal year version of this data collection form.
|1||If applicable, select the Authorized indicator to designate the school as SWP.||Optional field. The school must meet the criteria defined in the guidance listed above and have the appropriate approvals.|
|2||Enter the Local Board Approved Date.||
Required if the authorized indicator is selected. Format: mm/dd/yyyy. To allow for appropriate notification and implementation, and appropriate California Longitudinal Pupil Achievement Data System end-of-year reporting, the local board approved date must be on or before February 28, 2019.
|3||Enter the Low Income Percent (%).||Required if the authorized indicator is selected. Integers only.|
|4||If applicable, enter the SIG Approved Date.||
Optional field. Format: mm/dd/yyyy. Applicable to SIG schools with a low income percent below 40.
|5||If applicable, enter the SWP Waiver Approved Date as approved by the local board.||Optional field. Format: mm/dd/yyyy.|
Download schools template: Select this option to download school data from the data collection form into an Excel (.xls) spreadsheet.
Upload schools file: Select this option to upload school data from an Excel (.xls) spreadsheet into the data collection form.
|Field Name||Error Message||Resolution|
|Local Board Approved Date||School: [School Name] has an invalid local board approved date entered. To allow for appropriate notification and implementation, the local board approved date must be on or before June 30, 2019.||If local board approved date is after 06/30/2019, then notification and implementation of SWP must wait until fiscal year 2019–20.|
|School Improvement Grant (SIG) Approved Date||School: [School Name] has an invalid SIG approved date entered. Date must be equal to today's date or earlier.||Date must be equal to today's date or earlier.|
|Not field name specific||School: [School Name] does not meet Schoolwide Program low income requirement. Low income percent is not equal to or above 40 percent. A SIG or SWP waiver approved date should be provided.||Provide a SIG or SWP waiver approved date, as appropriate.|
|Local Board Approved Date||School: [School Name] Local board approved date is required.||Enter the local board approved date.|
|Low Income Percentage||School: [School Name] Low income percent (%) is required.||Enter the low income percent as an integer.|
|Local Board Approved Date||School: [School Name] has a SWP waiver approved date, the local board approved date must be on or after the SWP waiver approved date.||The local board approved date must be on or after the SWP waiver approved date.|
|SWP Waiver Approved Date||School: [School Name] has an invalid SWP waiver approved date entered. Date must be equal to today's date or earlier.||Date must be equal to today's date or earlier.|