Ltr3-09: Bus Replacement
May 20, 2011
Dear Select County Superintendents of Schools:
NOTICE OF THE THIRD APPORTIONMENT FOR THE
SMALL SCHOOL DISTRICT AND COUNTY OFFICE OF EDUCATION
BUS REPLACEMENT PROGRAM
FISCAL YEAR 2009-10
This apportionment, in the amount of $2,024,435, is made from funds provided by Schedule (2) of Item 6110-111-0001, Small School District and County Office of Education Bus Replacement Program, of the Budget Act of 2009 (Chapter 1, Statutes of 2009, Third Extraordinary Session as amended by Chapter 1, Statutes of 2009, Fourth Extraordinary Session) for the purchase of replacement buses for small school districts and county offices of education as provided by California Education Code sections 42290-42293, 42301.1, and 42303. Bus replacement funds are paid in two installments. The first 25 percent is paid after qualifying for funds and the remaining 75 percent is paid after receipt of the new bus, disposal of the old bus, and submission of the Request for Final Apportionment form.
Beginning in fiscal year 2010-11, letters of apportionment from the California Department of Education’s (CDE) School Fiscal Services Division are no longer being mailed to the county superintendents of schools. Instead, county superintendents will be notified of each apportionment by e-mail. Accordingly, the CDE has sent an e-mail to each county superintendent, addressed to the county’s CDEfisc e-mail address, to inform him or her of this apportionment. The e-mail contained a link to the CDE Categorical Programs Web page at http://www.cde.ca.gov/fg/aa/ca/ where, under the program name, the letter and schedule for this apportionment are posted. The CDE requested that the e-mail be forwarded to the school districts and charter schools in the county.
This apportionment represents the final 75 percent payment for all of the local educational agencies (LEAs) included on the apportionment schedule. Warrants will be mailed to each county treasurer approximately four weeks from the date of this Notice. For standardized account code structure coding, use Resource Code 7235, Transportation: School Bus Replacement, and Revenue Object Code 8590, All Other State Revenue.
Eligibility for bus replacement funds is limited to buses manufactured prior to 1992. Eligible bus replacement applications are ranked based on "excess age" and mileage, and condition of the bus, as specified in the program information manual dated April 2009. The program information manual also states that the total funding an agency will receive is limited to the net local cost of purchasing a new bus. If the net local cost is less than the award amount, the agency award will be reduced to the net local cost. Revised entitlements on this apportionment reflect reductions to the initial award amount due to the actual purchase price.
If you have any questions regarding this apportionment, please contact
Christina Schlueter, Assistant Fiscal Consultant, Categorical Allocations and Management Assistance Unit, by phone at 916-324-9806 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org [Note: the preceding contact information is no longer valid and has been replaced by Tonya Holmes, Fiscal Analyst, Categorical Allocations & Management Assistance Unit, by phone at 916-323-6028 or by e-mail at email@example.com.]
Jeannie Oropeza, Deputy Superintendent
Finance, Technology, and Administration Branch