Skip to main content
California Department of Education Logo

Ltr1-10: Bus Replacement

California Department of Education
Official Letter
California Department of Education
Official Letter

June 9, 2011

Dear Select County Superintendents of Schools:

NOTICE OF THE FIRST APPORTIONMENT FOR THE
SMALL SCHOOL DISTRICT AND COUNTY OFFICE OF EDUCATION
BUS REPLACEMENT PROGRAM
FISCAL YEAR 2010-11

This apportionment, in the amount of $1,105,988, is made from funds provided by Schedule (2) of Item 6110-111-0001, Small School District and County Office of Education Bus Replacement Program, of the Budget Act of 2010 (Chapter 712, Statutes of 2010) for the purchase of replacement buses for small school districts and county offices of education as provided by California Education Code sections 42290-42293, 42301.1, and 42303. Bus replacement funds are paid in two installments. The first 25 percent is paid after qualifying for funds and the remaining 75 percent is paid after receipt of the new bus, disposal of the old bus. This apportionment represents the first 25 percent payment for all of the local educational agencies (LEAs) included on the apportionment schedule.

Warrants will be mailed to each county treasurer approximately four weeks from the date of this Notice. For standardized account code structure coding, use Resource Code 7235, Transportation: School Bus Replacement, and Revenue Object Code 8590, All Other State Revenue.

Beginning in fiscal year 2010-11, letters of apportionment from the California Department of Education’s (CDE) School Fiscal Services Division are no longer being mailed to the county superintendents of schools. Instead, county superintendents will be notified of each apportionment by e-mail. Accordingly, the CDE has sent an e-mail to each county superintendent, addressed to the county’s CDEfisc e-mail address, to inform him or her of this apportionment. The e-mail contained a link to the CDE Categorical Programs Web page at http://www.cde.ca.gov/fg/aa/ca/ where, under the program name, the letter and schedule for this apportionment are posted. The CDE requested that the e-mail be forwarded to the school districts and charter schools in the county.

Eligibility for bus replacement funds is limited to buses manufactured prior to 1992. Eligible bus replacement applications are ranked based on "excess age" and mileage, and condition of the bus, as specified in the program information manual dated July 2010. If your district is unable to use the apportioned funds, please notify the CDE immediately in order to allow the next eligible, ranking agency the opportunity to participate in the program.

Bus Replacement funds are paid in two installments. The first 25 percent is paid after qualifying for funds. LEAs will receive the remaining 75 percent payment after receipt of the new bus, disposal of the old bus, and submission of the Request for Final Apportionment form. The final payment will be less than 75 percent, however, to the extent that total state payments would exceed the net cost of the new bus.

The request for final apportionment form is available on the CDE Web page at http://www.cde.ca.gov/fg/fo/r14/documents/ssdocebr10req.xls. LEAs must submit the completed form to the CDE no later than March 30, 2012, in order to retain the first payment of 25 percent.

If you have any questions regarding this apportionment, please contact Christina Schlueter, Assistant Fiscal Consultant, Categorical Allocations and Management Assistance Unit, by phone at 916-324-9806 or by e-mail at cschlueter@cde.ca.gov [Note: the preceding contact information is no longer valid and has been replaced by Tonya Holmes, Fiscal Analyst, Categorical Allocations & Management Assistance Unit, by phone at 916-323-6028 or by e-mail at tholmes@cde.ca.gov.]

Sincerely,

Jeannie Oropeza, Deputy Superintendent
Finance, Technology, and Administration Branch

Last Reviewed: Tuesday, May 31, 2016
Related Content

Recently Posted in

  • Funding Results (updated 20-Oct-2017)
    Foster Youth Services Coordinating Program funding results for fiscal year 2017-18.
  • Mental Health ADA FY2017/18 (added 19-Oct-2017)
    Mental Health Average Daily Attendance grant list of grantees and funding information for fiscal year 2017/18.
  • Res-17: Prop 39 CCEJA (added 19-Oct-2017)
    Proposition 39 - California Clean Energy Jobs Act program entitlements, apportionments, and letters detailing funding information for fiscal year 2017-18.
  • Alternate Dispute Resolution Grant FY2017/18 (added 18-Oct-2017)
    Funding information for the Alternate Dispute Resolution grant for fiscal year 2017-18.
  • Family Empowerment Centers Grant FY2017/18 (added 18-Oct-2017)
    Funding information for the Families Empowerment Centers grant for fiscal year 2017/18.

  • CMIG QRIS FY 2016-17 Block Grant (added 16-Oct-2017)
    Funding results for the Fiscal Year (FY) 2016-17 Quality Rating and Improvement System (QRIS) Block Grant for contractors with California Migrant Child Care and Development Programs (CMIG).
  • Res-17: One-Time Mandate Claims (added 11-Oct-2017)
    One-Time Funds for Outstanding Mandate Claims program funding results for fiscal year 2017-18.
  • Res-17: Specialized Secondary (added 11-Oct-2017)
    Specialized Secondary Programs funding results for fiscal year 2017-18.
  • RES-17: TUPE CTALF (XLS) (added 10-Oct-2017)
    Funding results for the Tobacco-Use Prevention Education (TUPE) County Technical Assistance and Leadership Funds (CTALF) for fiscal year 2017-18.
  • Funding Results (added 10-Oct-2017)
    TUPE County Technical Assistance & Leadership Funds.