COVID-19 and Data ReportingThis page provides access to information regarding educational data related to 2019–2020 academic year.
Senate Bill (SB) 98 (Chapter 24, Statutes of 2020) suspended the reporting of state and local indicators on the 2020 California School Dashboard (Dashboard). However, the statute requires that available data that would have been included in the Dashboard are reported on the California Department of Education’s (CDE’s) web site if they are determined to be valid and reliable. Pursuant to this requirement, the following data reports and downloadable data files are publicly available on the CDE website as described below.
DataQuest is the CDE’s public data reporting website, which provides meaningful data and statistics about California's K-12 public educational system that supports a wide variety of informational, research, and policy needs. Summary and detailed data reports are available for multiple subject areas at the school, district, county, and state levels.
The following statewide data, which are directly incorporated or indirectly reflected in some capacity in the Dashboard and/or reported to the U.S. Department of Education, have been determined to be valid and reliable and have been reported on DataQuest:
- 2019–20 Four-Year Adjusted Cohort Graduation Rate and Outcome Data reports with supporting downloadable Adjusted Cohort Graduation Rate and Outcome data file
- 2019–20 Five-Year Cohort Graduation Rate and Outcome Data reports with supporting downloadable Five-Year Cohort Graduation Rate and Outcome data file
- 2019–20 Suspension Rate Data reports with supporting downloadable Suspension data file
- 2019–20 Cumulative Enrollment (downloadable data file only)
The following data, which are not utilized in the Dashboard, have been reported on Dataquest:
- 2019–20 Expulsion Rate Data reports with supporting downloadable Expulsion data file
- 2019–20 Restraint and Seclusion Data: Per California Education Code section 49007, data regarding the use of physical restraint, mechanical restraint, and seclusion are being reported for the first time in a downloadable data file only.
California School Dashboard
The Dashboard provides parents and educators with meaningful information on school and district progress so they can participate in decisions to improve student learning. The following data, which would have been included in the 2020 Dashboard, have been determined to be valid and reliable and are available on Dashboard Additional Reports and Data webpage:
- Combined Graduation Rate
- Dashboard Alternative School Status Graduation Rate (i.e., one-year graduation rate)
- College/Career Indicator
Note: More information regarding the 2020 and 2021 Dashboard is available in the Data Reported on the 2020 Dashboard (PDF) flyer.
Data That Cannot Be Reported
- Academic Indicator: No reports due to suspension of California’s English language arts and mathematic assessments.
- English Learner Progress Indicator: No reports due to the suspension of the English Language Proficiency Assessments for California (ELPAC) assessments.
- Chronic Absenteeism Rate: No reports due to the determination by the CDE that the data are not valid and reliable for the 2019–20 academic year. This is due to the manner in which absenteeism data are collected in the California Longitudinal Pupil Achievement Data System (CALPADS) that impacts the integrity of the data and related calculations for any period of time other than the full academic year.
- Absenteeism Reason: No reports due to the determination by the CDE that the data are not valid and reliable for the 2019–20 academic year. This is due to the manner in which absenteeism data are collected in the California Longitudinal Pupil Achievement Data System (CALPADS) that impacts the integrity of the data and related calculations for any period of time other than the full academic year.
Note: In lieu of publishing the chronic absenteeism data collected through CALPADS, the CDE encourages LEAs to review their locally collected data to inform their system of support for students at-risk of chronic absence.
Other CDE Resources
COVID-19 Accountability FAQs for questions and answers related to the COVID-19 coronavirus and accountability.
Coronavirus (COVID-19) Main Web Page for information and resources regarding CDE's COVID-19 response efforts, including the guidance document for safely reopening schools for the 2020-21 academic year.