SFBP Funding Results AvailableThe School Food Best Practices (SFBP) funding results are now available. Assembly Bill 181 authorized the CDE to apportion $100 million for four specific school food best practices identified in the bill.
Local Education Agency (LEA) awards can be viewed on the California Department of Education’s (CDE) funding results web page.
For more information about the SFBP funds, visit the SFBP web page.
SFBP Funds Background
Purpose of the SFBP Funds
SFBP funds are intended to support eligible LEAs to expend on implementing any or all of the following best practices for school meals:
- Procuring California-grown or produced, sustainably grown, whole or minimally processed foods,
- Using California-grown, whole or minimally processed foods in plant-based or restricted diet meals for pupils,
- Procuring plant-based or restricted diet meals, or
- Freshly preparing meals on site.
An eligible LEA is defined in statue as a school district, county office of education, or charter school, that sponsors either the National School Lunch Program (NSLP) or the School Breakfast Program (SBP).
All eligible LEAs receive:
- Base Funding: $50,000
- Meal-Service-Based Award: After the base funding is awarded, fifty percent of the remaining funds are allocated proportionately to LEAs based on the total number of eligible reimbursable meals served in October 2021 by the LEA. NSLP, SBP, and Seamless Summer Option meals are included in this calculation.
- Eligibility-Based Award: Remaining funds are allocated proportionately based on the LEA’s total enrollment of pupils eligible for free or reduced-priced meals at all eligible sites within the LEA’s sponsorship.
Note: Actual award amounts were determined based on the eligible LEAs registered to receive funds.