COVID-19: FFVP Operations for SY 2021–22 Q and As
On August 9, 2021, the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) released Policy Memorandum SP 19-2021 Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Program (FFVP) Operations for School Year (SY) 2021–22 during Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19). This policy memo provides questions and answers intended to clarify the operations of the FFVP during the continued COVID-19 public health emergency for SY 2021–22.
Some of the highlights include:
- Question #2: FFVP may be operated in a noncongregate setting, including home delivery.
- Question #3: FFVP service may be provided alongside other Child Nutrition Programs.
- Question #5: FFVP participating schools may provide multiple servings of FFVP foods at one time, if the FFVP participating school is providing multiple days of meals at one time.
- Question #6: Nutrition education is not required with the FFVP service during COVID-19.
As a reminder, the USDA has granted the California Department of Education (CDE) Nutrition Services Division two waivers for the FFVP to use during SY 2021–22:
- FFVP Parent Pick-Up Waiver — Effective July 21, 2021, through June 30, 2022.
The first waiver allows school food authorities (SFA) participating in the FFVP to distribute FFVP snacks to a parent or guardian on behalf of their eligible child(ren) without the child(ren) being present.
- Serving FFVP at Alternate Sites Waiver — Effective July 30, 2021, through June 30, 2022.
The second waiver allows SFAs participating in the FFVP to offer FFVP snacks to elementary school children at nonFFVP school sites (elementary, middle, or high schools) if the FFVP school is closed or does not have meal service.
If you have not opted-in, but plan to implement the FFVP Parent Pick-up Waiver or the Serving FFVP at Alternate Sites Waiver for SY 2021–22, please refer to the COVID-19: FFVP SY 2021–22 Waivers web page.
Following the instructions in the COVID-19: FFVP SY 2021–22 Waivers listserv, please send an email to FFVP@cde.ca.gov to opt-in.
For more comprehensive COVID-19 guidance, please visit the CDE COVID-19 Guidance in the Child Nutrition Programs web page.
The USDA Policy Memo SP 19-2021 is effective SY 2021–22, and remains in effect until June 30, 2022.
If you have any questions regarding this subject, please contact the CDE FFVP Team by email at FFVP@cde.ca.gov.