COVID-19: FFVP School Year 2021–22 Waivers
The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) has granted the California Department of Education (CDE) Nutrition Services Division two waivers for the Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Program (FFVP) for use during School Year (SY) 2021–22:
- FFVP Parent Pick-Up Waiver - Effective July 21, 2021, to June 30, 2022.
This waiver allows school food authorities (SFA) participating in the FFVP to distribute the FFVP snacks to a parent or guardian on behalf of their eligible child(ren) without the child(ren) being present.
- Serving FFVP at Alternate Sites Waiver - Effective July 30, 2021, to June 30, 2022.
This waiver allows SFAs participating in the FFVP to offer the FFVP snacks to elementary school children at nonFFVP school sites (elementary, middle, or high schools) if the FFVP school is closed or does not have meal service.
To participate, SFAs must demonstrate that the waivers do not result in an increase to the overall cost of the FFVP.
While the use of these waivers is available for use during SY 2021–22, the USDA requires that both of these waivers be used only to the extent needed until in-person FFVP snacks can be resumed safely.
Additionally, the USDA also requires the CDE to track the use of these waivers. As a result of this requirement and the limited use mandate, all 2021–22 FFVP grantees will need to reevaluate and resubmit their opt-in for the waiver(s) three times over the course of the 2021–22 SY by emailing FFVP@cde.ca.gov to opt-in.
Waiver opt-ins will be valid for the following three time frames:
- Initial waiver opt-in: Now through December 31, 2021
- Midyear waiver opt-in: January 1, 2022, through March 31, 2022
- Final waiver opt-in: April 1, 2022, through June 30, 2022
Please note that FFVP waiver opt-ins may be submitted at any time and will be valid only for the period during which they were submitted.
The FFVP Parent Pick-Up Waiver is effective for SY 2021–22 beginning July 21, 2021, and after; the Serving FFVP at Alternate Sites Waiver is effective for SY 2021–22 beginning July 30, 2021.
How to Opt-in
If you plan to implement the FFVP Parent Pick-Up Waiver or the Serving FFVP at Alternate Sites Waiver, please send an email to FFVP@cde.ca.gov to opt-in.
In the subject line of the email, please include:
- The SY you are referring to (for example: SY 2021–22)
- Waiver Opt-in:
- The name of your SFA (for example: ABC Unified School District)
- The waiver you are opting into (for example: FFVP Parent Pick-Up Waiver)
For example, SY 2021–22: Waiver Opt-in: ABC Unified School District: FFVP Parent Pick-Up Waiver.
In the body of the email, please include:
- When opting-in to use the FFVP Parent Pick-Up Waiver, please describe:
- Your plan for how you will provide FFVP snacks only to parents or guardians of eligible children, and
- How you will ensure that no duplicates are distributed to any child.
- When opting-in to use the Serving FFVP at Alternate Sites Waiver, please list:
- The name(s) of the FFVP sites that are closed that will use this waiver, and
- The name(s) of the site(s) that will serve the FFVP snacks only to eligible children while using this waiver.
Within the next year, all 2021–22 FFVP grantees who opt-in to use the waiver(s) will receive an email to complete the mandatory report(s).
If you have any questions regarding this subject, please contact the CDE FFVP Team by email at FFVP@cde.ca.gov.