Fluid Milk Requirements for Child CareThe Fluid Milk Requirements for Child Care in the Child and Adult Care Food Program (CACFP) online course.
This online training will assist child care center staff and day care home (DCH) providers in understanding how to comply with the milk requirements in the CACFP. The California Department of Education (CDE) Nutrition Services Division revised this training in November 2020 to explain how to compare Vitamin A and D amounts listed on the new Nutrition Facts Label with U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) requirements for determining whether a nondairy milk substitute is nutritionally equivalent to milk.
- Course Number: 847
- Training Length: 33 minutes
- Certificate: Yes
- Target Audience: CACFP child care centers and DCH providers
- Mandatory: No
- Cost: Free
- Date Recorded: November 2020
Begin the Fluid Milk Requirements for Child Care in the CACFP course.
The following resources are referred to throughout this online course:
- USDA guide, Feeding Infants in the CACFP
- USDA Policy Memorandum CACFP 02-2018, Feeding Infants and Meal Pattern Requirements in the CACFP; Questions and Answers
- CDE online course number 813 The New Infant Meal Pattern in the CACFP
- CDE Request for a Fluid Milk Substitution (CACFP 49)
To access this document, log on to the Child Nutrition Information and Payment System (CNIPS) , select the Applications tab, and select Download Forms.
- CDE Management Bulletin CACFP 02-2020: Nutrition Requirements for Fluid Milk in the CACFP
- USDA Crediting Handbook for the CACFP
- CDE Medical Statement to Request Special Meals or Accommodations (CNP 925)
To access this document, log on to the CNIPS , select the Applications tab, and select Download Forms.
- CDE CACFP Contact List
- Crediting: 0.50 hour
- Key Area:
- Training Topic:
Menu Planning (1100)
- Learning Objectives: Plan menus that meet USDA nutrition requirements (1110) or Plan meals to accommodate students requiring special diets, including food allergies (1160)
- Training Topic: Menu Planning (1100)
For more information on the CACFP milk requirements, access the following resource:
- USDA Serving Milk in the CACFP (PDF) handout
If you have questions about the course content, please contact your CACFP Specialist or the CACFP Meal Patterns Team by email at CACFPMealPatterns@cde.ca.gov. (The contact information for CACFP Specialists is on the CDE CACFP Contact List web page.)
DCH providers: If you have questions about the course contact, contact your DCH sponsoring organization.