CNAC Minutes for the November 13, 2017, MeetingMeeting minutes for the State Superintendent of Public Instruction Child Nutrition Advisory Council.
Child Nutrition Advisory Council
The State Superintendent of Public Instruction
November 13, 2017, Meeting Minutes
Kim Frinzell, Dena Boortz, Helen Chang, Caroline Danielson, Maria Galleher, Nori Grossmann
Clell Hoffman, Lucy McProud, Barbara Rohrer, Patrick Traynor
Representative for the State Superintendent of Public Instruction
Also Present—California Department of Education
Mike Danzik, Lisa Melhouse
Call to Order
Clell Hoffman, Chair, called the meeting to order at 10:03 a.m.
The Pledge of Allegiance was recited.
There was no public comment.
Agenda for November 2017 was approved.
Minutes for September 2017 were approved.
Subject: Review and Discuss 2018 CNAC Goals, Objectives, and Outcomes
From CNAC Chair, Clell Hoffman
The topic of discussion: To comment on Senate and/or Assembly Bills
- The CNAC members want to comment/look at bills that the Nutrition Services Division (NSD) receive that are nutrition-related.
Information/Discussion/Action: CNAC members to look at the nutrition-related bills that have been posted on the California Department of Education (CDE) Web site. Subject matter experts (SME) should be invited to explain the bills. The CNAC wants to comment on these bills, which will be discussed with Alejandro Espinoza.
A motion made by Ms. McProud to include a CNAC goal to analyze relevant current legislation and bills, which was seconded by Ms. Rohrer. A second motion made by Ms. McProud to include CNAC's goal to analyze health frameworks and nutrition curriculum, which was seconded by Mr. Traynor.
Subject: State Legislative Update
From Government Affairs Division, Alejandro Espinoza, Legislative Representative
The topic of discussion: Various Senate and Assembly Bills
Mr. Espinoza gave the members the following handouts and gave an overview of the bill process:
- The 2018 Tentative Legislative Calendar
- Glossary of Legislature Terms
- 2017 Legislative Session
For more information, please contact Mr. Espinoza by phone at 916-319-0676 or by e-mail at email@example.com.
Information/Discussion/Action: Kim suggested that CNAC craft language about bills/legislation and route it to Mr. Espinoza for review.
Subject: Drinking Water in Schools and Grant Program
From State Water Resources Control Board (SWRCB), Kim Hanagan, SME for Drinking Water and Lead Sampling, and Ravinder Jawanda, SME for the Schools Grant Program, and Diane Waters, CDE Facilities Planning Policy and Standards Unit.
The topic of discussion: Overview of drinking water in schools and the grant program
Ms. Hanagan and Ms. Jawanda provided the following handout to the CNAC members:
- Lead sampling of drinking water in California schools
- Drinking water for schools grant program
- Review of state and federal water access requirements for the school meal programs
For more information about drinking water, lead sampling, and the grant program, please call the SWRCB by phone at 916-322-9601 or by e-mail at DDW-PLU@waterboards.ca.gov. Ms. Waters, the CDE Representative, can be reached by phone at 916-327-2884 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Subject: The Family and Consumer Sciences (FCS) office and the Family, Career and Community Leaders of America (FCCLA)
From FCCLA, Melissa Webb, State Advisor, and FCS Education Programs Consultant
The topic of discussion: Career Technical Education
Ms. Webb provided the following handouts:
- Pamphlet: Family and Consumer Sciences Career Technical Education Industry Sectors: (1) Education, Child Development, and Family Services; (2) Fashion and Interior Design; (3) Hospitality, Tourism, and Recreation
- PowerPoint presentation about the FCS and the FCCLA
- Directory of FCS Resource Staff
- California FCCLA Calendar of Statewide Activities for 2017-18
For more information regarding the FCCLA, contact Ms. Webb, State Advisor, by phone at 916-319-0773 or by e-mail at email@example.com. To learn more about the FCS, contact Ms. Webb, Education Programs Consultant, at her e-mail address above.
Subject: Local Control Funding Formula (LCAP)
From California Food Policy Advocates (CFPA), Anna Colby, Nutrition Policy Advocate
The topic for discussion: LCAP Funds for Health and Nutrition
Ms. Colby provided the following handouts:
- Two case studies: Processes, successes, and challenges of two school districts obtaining LCAP funds for health and nutrition
- CFPA-School Breakfast: Reducing Chronic Absenteeism and Supporting Student Success
- Letter from the California Local School Wellness Policy Collaborative to the State Superintendent of Public Instruction (SSPI) Tom Torlakson regarding Comments on the Draft California Every Student Succeeds Act State Plan
To learn more, contact Ms. Colby, Nutrition Policy Advocate, by phone at 213-482-8200 ext. 204 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or Melissa Cannon, CFPA, by phone at 510-433-1122 ext. 102 or by e-mail at email@example.com.
Subject: SSPI Visit
From SSPI, Tom Torlakson
The topic of discussion: Welcoming the CNAC members
- The CNAC members introduced themselves
Subject: Agenda Topics
From CNAC Chair, Clell Hoffman
The topic of discussion: Agenda topics for the February 2018 meeting
- CNAC Bylaws and Recruitment Update
- The members want to hear more about health and wellness (LCAP).
Clell Hoffman, Chair, adjourned the meeting at 3:02 p.m.
Note: If you would like any of the handouts mentioned above, please contact Mary R. Smith by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.