CNAC Minutes for the May 2018 MeetingMeeting minutes for the State Superintendent of Public Instruction Child Nutrition Advisory Council.
Child Nutrition Advisory Council
The State Superintendent of Public Instruction
May 8, 2018, Meeting Minutes
Dena Boortz, Helen Chang, Caroline Danielson, Kim Frinzell, Nori Grossmann, Lawrence Herrera,
Clell Hoffman, Lucy McProud, Patrick Traynor, Cody Williams
Representative for the State Superintendent of Public Instruction
Also Present—California Department of Education
Mike Danzik, Lisa Melhouse, Heather Reed
Call to Order
Clell Hoffman, Chair, called the meeting to order at 10:05 a.m.
The Pledge of Allegiance was recited.
There was no public comment.
Agenda for May 2018 was approved.
Minutes for March 2018 were approved.
Subject: Presentation of Certificate of Appreciation
From NSD, Kim Frinzell, Director
The topic of discussion: Ms. Frinzell presented a Certificate of Appreciation to Dr. Lucy McProud for her participation on the CNAC.
Subject: Health Frameworks Curriculum
From Canstantino Silva, Education Administrator I, Deborah Franklin, Education Programs Consultant (EPC), and Jennifer Buzolich, EPC
The topic of discussion: The notes taken will be incorporated into a letter. Summarization of the notes will be sent to two of the CNAC members to review. Ms. Franklin and Ms. Buzolich collected the members' recommendations and changes to the frameworks and will be typed up and provided to the members.
11:45 a.m. Lunch
Subject: State Legislative Update
From Government Affairs Division, Alejandro Espinoza, Legislative Representative
The topic of discussion: Various State Senate and Assembly Bills
Mr. Espinoza gave the members a handout on nutrition-related legislation. For more information, please contact Mr. Espinoza by phone at 916-319-0676 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Subject: Federal Legislative Update
From Marguerite Ries, Federal Policy Liaison
The topic of discussion: Various federal bills
For more information, please contact Ms. Ries by phone at 916-319-0650 or by email at email@example.com.
Subject: Topics for the Next Agenda
From CNAC, Clell Hoffman, Chair
The topic of discussion:
- CNAC members to share what their district's Emergency Preparedness Plans consist of (suggested by Kim in one of our previous planning meetings)
- Legislative update (standing agenda item)
- Health Framework update (Mr. Herrera)
- California regulatory changes (Ms. Frinzell)
- Ideas for NSD-sponsored bills (Ms. Frinzell/Ms. Danielson)
- Student member introduction: Time for each CNAC member to share their background and role on CNAC. Includes student member to share as well (in particular have student share his/her connection to nutrition, perception of school meals at their school, perception of nutrition education at their school, perception of how peers view nutrition and school meals, etc.).
Clell Hoffman, Chair, adjourned the meeting at 2:50 p.m.
Note: If you would like any of the handouts mentioned above, please contact Mary R. Smith by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.