CNAC Minutes for the September 2018 MeetingMeeting minutes for the State Superintendent of Public Instruction Child Nutrition Advisory Council
California Department of Education
Child Nutrition Advisory Council
September 10, 2018, Meeting Minutes
Dena Boortz, Helen Chang, Caroline Danielson, Kim Frinzell, Maria Galleher, Nori Grossmann, Lawrence Herrera, Clell Hoffman, Barbara Rohrer, Patrick Traynor, Cody Williams, Colby Bladow
Representative for the State Superintendent of Public Instruction
Call to Order
Clell Hoffman, Chair, called the meeting to order at 10:08 a.m.
The Pledge of Allegiance was recited.
There was no public comment.
Clell Hoffman, Chair
- The September 2018 agenda was approved.
- The May 2018 meeting minutes were approved.
- The CNAC welcomed Colby Bladow to the Council. Colby represents the Student Member on the CNAC. Colby was sworn it by State Superintendent of Public Instruction, Tom Torlakson on August 20, 2018.
Subject: Nutrition Services Division (NSD) Director’s Update
From NSD, Kim Frinzell, Director
The topic of discussion: Various updates.
- Senate Bill (SB) 138 became effective in January 2018. Since then the Community Eligibility Provision (CEP) numbers have increased with 296 local educational agencies with 2,848 sites that have been approved to implement CEP.
- Recent program evaluations and audits include the Office of Inspector General audit of the Summer Food Service program. The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) just completed the National School Lunch Program on-site portion of their review. In February they will review our state operations of the Child and Adult Care Food Program.
- Our oversight and administrative review (AR) of program operators continue and the common AR findings are: (1) meal components, (2) Buy American, (3) Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point, and (4) professional standards.
- Assembly Bill (AB) 1520 requires the California Department of Social Services to convene a task force to address how to help families out of poverty. AB 2360 requires the California Department of Education (CDE) to develop best practices for food banks and school districts to help increase access to healthy meals.
- Equipment grant deadline is September 20, 2018.
- The USDA released an update menu planner for schools. The document is designed to be a comprehensive guide for districts.
Subject: State Legislative Update
From Government Affairs Division, Alejandro Espinoza, Legislative Representative
The topic of discussion: Various State Senate and Assembly Bills
- Mr. Espinoza gave the members a handout on nutrition-related legislation. For more information, please contact Mr. Espinoza by phone at 916-319-0676 or by email at email@example.com. New session will begin January 2, 2019, when the newly elected Legislative members begin.
Subject: Federal Legislative Update
From Marguerite Ries, Federal Policy Liaison
The topic of discussion: Various federal bills
For more information, please contact Ms. Ries by phone at 916-319-0650 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Subject: Overview of the California System of Support
From Curriculum Frameworks & Instructional Resources Division, Stephanie Gregson, Director
The topic of discussion: Health Frameworks Curriculum Update
- Ms. Gregson had a PowerPoint (PPT) that she presented to the Child Nutrition Advisory Council (CNAC) members. The goal for System of Support is to assist local educational agencies and their schools in meeting the needs of each student served, with a focus on building capacity to sustain improvement and effectively address inequities in student opportunities and outcomes.
For more information, please contact Ms. Gregson by phone at 916-319-0663 or by email at email@example.com.
Subject: Supporting implementation if AB 1884 is signed into law
From CNAC, Clell Hoffman, Chair
The topic of discussion: Single-use straws
- Mr. Hoffman received a letter from a student requesting to ban the use of plastic containers and straws during meals.
12:01 p.m. Lunch
Subject: Health Education Framework Draft
From CDE Curriculum Frameworks & Instructional Resources Division, Constantino Silva, Education Administrator I, and Lindsay Weiss, Education Programs Assistant
The topic of discussion: Update on comments; next steps
- Mr. Silva mentioned that over 700 comments were received by email. There are certain criteria that the committee will look at for line item recommendations. Please visit the CDE 2019 Health Framework Revision Guidelines website for information about health education and public comments.
For more information about this subject, please contact Mr. Silva by phone at 916-323-4583 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Subject: NSD’s Online Nutrition Course Catalog
From Training, Education, and Administrative Management Unit, Desiree Rojo, Child Nutrition Consultant
The topic of discussion: Demonstrate and review what is available and how to access
- Ms. Rojo had a PPT that she presented to the members. She showed the CNAC how to access the Child Nutrition Program (CNP) Course Catalog that is an online training course for program operators participating in the CNPs.
For more information about this subject, please contact Ms. Rojo by phone at 916-323-0213 or by email at email@example.com.
Subject: Healthy Beverages – Rethink Your Drink
From Education and Nutrition Policy Unit (ENPU), Mike Danzik, Nutrition Education Consultant (NEC), Nori Grossmann, CNAC Member, and Ian Tovar, California Department of Public Health
The topic of discussion: Rethink Your Drink and sugary drinks
- Mr. Tovar presented a Vimeo video on drinking water.
For more information, please contact Mr. Tovar by phone at 916-449-5718 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please visit the Rethink Your Drink website for more information about water. Access the Champions for Change website for the Potter the Otter book A Tale about Water. For more Potter the Otter books, please visit the First 5 California website.
Subject: California Department of Education Legislative bill ideas for 2019
From NSD, Kim Frinzell, Director, and ENPU, Mike Danzik, NEC
The topic of discussion: Brainstorming session
- Ms. Frinzell presented to the members a possibility of formulating bill(s) to present to the SSPI.
- Mr. Hererra is thinking about a bill for food waste.
- Mr. Traynor would like to see support to serve meals that are very nutritious and funding those nutritious foods.
- Ms. Papas suggested that a proclamation would work better than asking for funding.
- Ms. Grossman suggested promotion of water.
- Ms. Danielson suggests to bring in the community, i.e., parents.
- Ms. Galleher wants to know if there is a better way to have an early start time for students.
Subject: Agenda topics for next meeting
From CNAC, Clell Hoffman, Chair
The topic of discussion: Brainstorming for agenda items
- Health Education Framework update
- Child Poverty Task Force Report (Ms. Danielson)
- Plate Waste Task Force (Ms. Galleher/Mr. Hoffman)
- AB 2360 implementation (provided it is signed into law), invite someone to speak from a local food bank
- Bay Area Nutrition and Physical Activity Collaborative (BANPAC) water report (Ms. Grossmann)
- Rethink Your Drink updated information for the 2019 Campaign Day
Clell Hoffman, Chair, adjourned the meeting at 2:56 p.m.