Kitchen Infrastructure and Training Funds
This information provides an overview of the noncompetitive Kitchen Infrastructure and Training (KIT) funds approved by the California State Legislature in AB 167. These funds are an excellent opportunity to help prepare your agency for implementing Universal Meals next school year. Information can also be found on the California Department of Education (CDE) KIT Funds web page.
Purpose of the Funds:
- Purchase kitchen infrastructure and equipment to increase access to, or improve the quality of, nutritious school meals
- Provide training to promote nutritious foods, including food preparation, healthy food marketing, and changing the school lunchroom environment
Local educational agency (LEA) sponsors of either the National School Lunch Program (NSLP) or School Breakfast Program. LEAs are defined in the law as any
- School district,
- County office of education, or
- Charter school
Base Funding Amount:
All sponsoring LEAs are eligible to receive
- $25,000 Kitchen Infrastructure and Equipment
- $2,000 Training
- Kitchen Infrastructure and Equipment: After the base funding is allocated to all interested LEAs, the remaining kitchen infrastructure funds will be distributed proportionately to agencies with at least 50 percent of students eligible for free or reduced-price meals. In total, $120 million is available for kitchen infrastructure from this funding source.
- Training: After the base funding is allocated to all interested LEAs, the remaining training funds will be distributed proportionately to all agencies based on the number of total NSLP meals served in October 2020. In total, $30 million is available for school and district food service staff training from this funding source.
Final funding amounts will be determined after all interested LEAs have completed the online opt-in registration form (see below for deadline).
Funds Expenditure Deadline: Funds must be spent by June 30, 2023.
Mandatory Online Opt-In
- Deadline: January 14, 2022, at 5 p.m.
- Online opt-in registration form for KIT Funds
- Late submissions will be allowed, but are not guaranteed funding
Allowable Use of Kitchen Infrastructure Funds
This funding can be used to purchase, repair, or fund infrastructure improvements, such as electrical, plumbing, and construction related to the following four categories:
- Cooking equipment and supporting infrastructure system needs—including, but not limited to, combination ovens, steamers, tilting skillets, structural support, and facility upgrade requirements
- Service equipment—including, but not limited to, service lines, point-of-sale systems, and mobile carts
- Refrigeration and storage—including, but not limited to, walk-in refrigerators, freezers, and blast chillers
- Transportation of ingredients, meals, and equipment between sites—including, but not limited to, vehicles and equipment to prevent spoilage of food in transit
These funds may also be used for any eligible items already purchased, repaired, or installed since the date that this funding was approved, July 9, 2021.
Allowable Use of Training Funds
Trainings provided with these funds are for the sole benefit of food service staff at the district, county office of education, or school-site level.
Training topics must focus on promoting nutritious foods, which may include:
- Food preparation
- Healthy food marketing
- Changing the school lunchroom environment