National School Lunch Week
School Lunch Week (NSLW) was established to support children’s educational journeys with healthy school lunches and to celebrate the National School Lunch Program (NSLP). This year, California has much to celebrate with the inaugural implementation of School Meals for All! Please join us in celebrating NSLW with the theme “Peace, Love, & School Lunch” from October 10–14, 2022.
- The 2022 theme for NSLW is “Peace, Love, & School Lunch”. Decorate the cafeteria and dress the part with colorful fruit and vegetable outfits.
- Invite teachers, administrators, and school directors to be present in the lunchroom during NSLW to highlight the importance of modeling good and nutritious food behaviors.
- During school assemblies, events, and student announcements, explain to students why maintaining nutrient balance and proper hydration is important for their extracurricular activities, recess time, and homework time.
- Have a “favorite school lunch meal” poll within the school or classrooms and share it on social media with the hashtag #NSLW2022!
Share Your Celebration
- Share with the community how good, nutritious lunches have helped children become better students.
- Get in touch with the media to highlight your school and have your students share their favorite healthy meals.
- Share the celebration on your school district website, through parent emails, and in school newsletters.
- Share your experiences with other program operators on social media platforms and use the hashtag #NSLW2022.
- Share with us, the CDE NSD, on Twitter @CDENutrition with your NSLW 2022 celebration photos or videos!
The National School Lunch program is a federally-funded program that focuses on providing healthy and affordable lunches for children in the United States. The mission of the NSLP, overall, is to assist in bridging the gap in food disparities for children in schools. In celebrating NSLW, we highlight the immense contributions and efforts that program operators and foodservice staff have made in making food accessible year-round for these students.
For more information about National School Lunch Week, visit the website .