P-EBT 3.0 and Summer 2022 P-EBT Coming SoonThis communication is to encourage program operators to prepare for School Year 2021–22 Pandemic Electronic Benefit Transfer (P-EBT), known as P-EBT 3.0, and Summer 2022 P-EBT.
This communication is to encourage program operators to prepare for School Year 2021–22 Pandemic Electronic Benefit Transfer (P-EBT), known as P-EBT 3.0, and Summer 2022 P-EBT. For P-EBT 3.0 and Summer 2022 P-EBT, the California Department of Education (CDE) relies on local information input into the California Longitudinal Pupil Achievement Data System (CALPADS) to determine eligibility and issue benefits to students. No separate P-EBT application is required.
Additional information about P-EBT 3.0 and Summer 2022 P-EBT eligibility requirements will be shared upon plan approval from the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA).
California submitted a P-EBT 3.0 plan to the USDA for approval. In anticipation of approval, the CDE is reminding program operators to update the following CALPADS information:
- Ensure student enrollment and eligibility information are up to date in CALPADS, including:
- Student enrollments and exits, especially enrollments in provision schools
- Free and reduced-price meal program records
- Migrant, homeless, and foster records
- Ensure student mailing addresses are up to date in CALPADS: P-EBT 3.0 and Summer 2022 P-EBT benefit cards will be mailed to address in CALPADS.
Summer 2022 P-EBT
When approved by the USDA, Summer 2022 P-EBT will be available to students that were enrolled as of May 2022, and free or reduced-price eligible, directly certified, or attended a Community Eligibility Provision or other Provision school.
In addition, students not enrolled as of May 2022 (such as new transfer students) may be eligible for Summer 2022 P-EBT. [Note: The previous sentence was updated on August 3, 2022 to replace kindergarten with new transfer based on USDA guidance. Kindergarten students may be eligible for Summer 2022 P-EBT based on Cal Fresh enrollment only.] Students can be determined eligible through the summer months if they qualify as free or reduced price through meal application, alternate income form, or direct certification. Students newly eligible with a CALPADS eligibility start date on or before August 15, 2022, will receive Summer 2022 P-EBT. Therefore, the CDE encourages program operators to make opportunities for Summer 2022 P-EBT available to students during the summer months.
The following are options for making this opportunity available:
- Schedule office hours for families to drop off meal application or alternative income information form
- Have parents submit an online meal application
- Create secure drop boxes for families to place their meal application
- Include the meal application or information on how to apply in new student orientation packets
- Include the meal application or information on how to apply in your summer grab and go meals
In addition, program operators may communicate with households about applying for free and reduced-price meals, which may include the following:
- Post information on websites
- Provide posters and flyers
- Include information in your early back to school letter
- Send out a summer Robo-call
- Use social media
Thank you in advance for your efforts. The P-EBT program provides an important source of funding for California’s students. For more information about P-EBT, please send families to the California Department of Social Services P-EBT web page .
Also, the Nutrition Services Division has a P-EBT email to assist program operators at PEBT@cde.ca.gov.