SFSP Annual Update 2020–21
The California Department of Education (CDE) has opened the Summer Food Service Program (SFSP) Annual Update in the Child Nutrition Information and Payment System (CNIPS) for School Year (SY) 2020–21 (October 1, 2020, through September 30, 2021).
Prior to serving meals the Nutrition Services Division must approve your CNIPS SY 2020–21 Application Packet. If you are planning to serve SFSP meals on October 1, 2020, please submit your complete Application Packet as soon as possible to ensure a smooth transition to the new year.
On August 31, 2020, the U.S. Department of Agriculture issued nine nationwide waivers extending flexibilities for the SFSP through the rest of 2020. The following streamlining changes will be made for application packets submitted prior to December 31, 2020:
- Management Plan updates—sponsors will need to only update their meal counting and claiming procedures in their management plan
- Budgets—School Food Authorities are not required to submit a budget in their SFSP application
- Budgets—Non-Profits (NP) must submit a budget for review. All budgets will be reviewed for compliance as well as allowable items. When submitting the budget please note areas of additional focus to ensure compliance in the SFSP.
- Average Daily Participation (ADP) should be reviewed prior to submitting the budget to ensure accurate projected reimbursements in the budget page of the CNIPS application.
- Food—Vendor contracts are current and uploaded into the checklist items.
- Rent—All contracts are current and uploaded into the checklist items in the CNIPS application.
Non-profits agencies intending to operate open SFSP sites will need to communicate with public districts to determine if any active school site is within a quarter-mile of their proposed site; this written communication must be submitted with the application packet. If any proposed site is within a quarter-mile of an active school district site, then an integrity plan must be submitted ensuring that duplicate meals will not be served.
For any questions regarding this subject, please contact your respective program’s County Specialist. The County Specialist for each program can be found in the following Form IDs in the CNIPS Download Forms section:
- SFSP—Form ID SFSP 01
- Seamless Summer Option, National School Lunch Program, School Breakfast Program—Form ID Caseload
- Child and Adult Care Food Program—Form ID CACFP 01