Skip to main content
California Department of Education Logo

2012-13 SBP and SFSP Start-up and Expansion Grants

Nutrition Services Division Management Bulletin

Purpose: Beneficial Information

To: Public School Districts
Direct Funded Charter Schools
County Superintendents of Schools

Number: NSD-SNP-06-2012

Attention: Food Service Director, Chief Business Official, Chief Financial Officer

Date: February 2012

Subject: Letter of Intent: Availability for the School Breakfast and Summer Food Service Programs Start-up and Expansion Grants for State Fiscal Year 2012–13

Reference: California Education Code Section 49550.3; 2010–11 State Budget Act

This Management Bulletin (MB) announces the availability of the School Breakfast Program (SBP) and Summer Food Service Program (SFSP) Start-up and Expansion Grants. The Annual State Budget appropriates approximately $1.017 million for this grant program. California Education Code Section 49550.3 authorizes the California Department of Education (CDE) to award competitive grants of up to $15,000 per site for nonrecurring expenses incurred in initiating or expanding an SBP or SFSP. The following types of grants are available:

  • Start-up grants are for per site costs associated with starting an SBP or SFSP.
  • Expansion grants are for the costs associated with increasing program participation at an existing SBP or SFSP site.

The CDE is offering these grants to public school districts, direct-funded charter schools, and county offices of education only. Hereinafter, these eligible agencies will be referred to as school food authorities (SFAs). Private schools, residential child care institutions, and juvenile detention centers are not eligible to receive these grants.

The SFA must have a current vendor number on file with the State Controller to be eligible for these grants. An SFA may obtain a vendor number from the CDE as part of the application process for the National School Lunch Program (NSLP) and SBP. Please contact the CDE’s Nutrition Services Division (NSD), School Nutrition Programs Unit, to begin an application.

The CDE will provide funding for these grants as long as funds are available. Please note that grant recipients will receive 90 percent of the funding at the time of award with the remaining 10 percent awarded upon approval of all invoices. The CDE will recover funds from agencies that do not submit invoices for approved budget items within the award time frame. There is no “cost sharing” or “matching funds” requirement for this grant.

An SFA may apply for one or both types (SBP or SFSP) of grants; however, only one type of grant may be awarded per school site. School districts may apply for a grant for a locally funded charter school that is operating the NSLP and/or SBP under the district’s agreement with the CDE. Additionally, an SFA operating the Summer Seamless Feeding Option may apply for funding to initiate or expand the SFSP. 

The CDE reserves the right to ensure a balance of funding among the SBP and the SFSP as well as among start-up and expansion grants.

Application Deadline

The NSD must receive original copies of grant applications on or before Friday, March 30, 2012.

The NSD will not:

  • Accept any applications received after 5 p.m. on March 30, 2012
  • Process incomplete, illegible, and/or late applications
  • Accept facsimile and/or e-mail submissions
  • Accept “placeholder” applications.

Grant applications are available to download from the CDE Funding Web page at or by contacting Tara Chambers, School Nutrition Programs Specialist, by phone at 916-323-7177, 1-800-952-5609, or by e-mail at

Please share this MB with your district or agency management and business personnel as appropriate.

Questions:   Nutrition Services Division | 800-952-5609
Last Reviewed: Thursday, July 13, 2017
Related Content
Recently Posted in Nutrition