Skip to main content
California Department of Education Logo

2014-15 SBP and SFSP Start-up and Expansion Grants

Nutrition Services Division Management Bulletin

Purpose: Beneficial Information

Date: February 2014

Number: SNP-09-2014, SFSP 01-2014

To: Public School Districts, Direct Funded Charter Schools, and County Superintendent of Schools

Attention: Food Service Director, Chief Business Official, and Chief Financial Officer

Reference: California Education Code Section 49550.3; 2013–14 State Budget Act

Subject: Availability of the School Breakfast Program and Summer Food Service Program Start-up and Expansion Grants for State Fiscal Year 2014–15

This Management Bulletin (MB) announces the availability of the 2014–15 School Breakfast Program (SBP) and Summer Food Service Program (SFSP) Start-up and Expansion Grants. The California State Legislature annually appropriates $1.017 million in the State Budget for these grants. California Education Code Section 49550.3 authorizes the California Department of Education (CDE) to award competitive grants of up to $15,000 per site for nonrecurring expenses incurred in initiating or expanding a SBP or SFSP.

The following types of grants are available:

  • Start-up grants are for per site costs associated with starting an SBP or SFSP.
  • Expansion grants are for the costs associated with increasing program participation at an existing SBP or SFSP site.

The CDE is offering these grants to public school districts, direct-funded charter schools, and county offices of education. Hereinafter, these eligible agencies will be referred to as School Food Authorities (SFA), which are local educational agencies participating in the Child Nutrition Programs. Private schools, residential child care institutions, and juvenile detention centers are not eligible to receive these grants.

An SFA must have a current vendor number on file with the State Controller to be eligible for these grants. SFAs may obtain a vendor number from the CDE as part of the application process to participate in the National School Lunch Program (NSLP), SBP, and/or SFSP. Please contact the CDE’s Nutrition Services Division (NSD) by phone at 800-952-5609 to begin the application process.

In accordance with Title 7, Code of Federal Regulations, Section 210.14(b), an SFA shall limit its net cash resources (NCR) to an amount that does not exceed three months’ average expenditures in its food service account. All SFAs exceeding their NCR limit will be ineligible to receive an SBP/SFSP grant award.

The CDE will provide funding for the SBP/SFSP grants as long as funds are available. Please note that the CDE will grant recipients 90 percent of the funding at the time of award while awarding the remaining 10 percent upon approval of all invoices. The CDE will recover funds from SFAs that do not submit invoices for approved budget items within the award time frame. There is no “cost sharing” or “matching funds” requirement for these grants.

Eligible SFAs may apply for one or both types of grant on their application; however, SFAs may not request both grants for one site. SFAs may include more than one site in a single application, up to a total of 10 sites. School districts may apply for a grant for a locally-funded charter school that is operating the NSLP and/or the SBP under the district’s agreement with the CDE.

The CDE reserves the right to ensure a balance of funding among the SBP and the SFSP as well as among all start-up and expansion grants.

Application Deadline

The CDE must receive hard copies of grant applications with an original signature on or before Friday, March 24, 2014.

The CDE will not:

  • Accept any applications received after 5 p.m. on March 24, 2014
  • Process incomplete, illegible, and/or late applications
  • Accept fax and/or e-mail submissions
  • Accept “placeholder” applications

SFAs can download the instructions and grant applications on the CDE Funding Web page at

Contact Information

Please share this information with your business personnel as appropriate. If you have any questions regarding the SBP/SFSP grant process, please contact Tara Chambers, SNPU Specialist, by phone at 916-323-7177 or 800-952-5609 (option 2) or by e-mail at

Questions:   Nutrition Services Division | 800-952-5609
Last Reviewed: Thursday, July 13, 2017
Related Content
Recently Posted in Nutrition