Update: School Year 2021–22 Waiver Elections
Due to the significant supply chain issues, and with support from the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA), the California Department of Education (CDE) and the California Department of Social Services (CDSS) are revising the School Year (SY) 2021–22 waiver elections and meal pattern waiver process.
- Waiver elections for both Annual and Limited Use Waivers will occur only once.
- The waiver election survey will be open all year and you may opt into these waivers at any time.
- Flexibilities offered by the waivers are available through June 30, 2022.
- If you have already completed the SY 2021–22 Nutrition Services Division (NSD) Waiver Elections application, available on the CDE NSD Waiver Elections Application web page, these elections are valid through June 30, 2022.
- If you have not yet completed the SY 2021–22 NSD Waiver Elections application, available on the CDE NSD Waiver Elections Application web page, you can do so at any time and new waiver elections will be valid through June 30, 2022.
Meal Pattern Waiver Online Applications
- Meal pattern waivers require additional justification. If you anticipate needing meal pattern flexibilities, be sure to complete a Meal Pattern Waiver application:
- COVID-19 School Nutrition Programs (SNP) Meal Pattern Waiver application available on the CDE SNP Meal Pattern Waiver Application web page.
- COVID-19 Child and Adult Care Food Program (CACFP) Meal Pattern Waiver application available on the CDE COVID-19 CACFP Meal Pattern Waiver Application web page.
Meal Pattern Waiver Validity
- SNP: If you have applied, and been approved for a Meal Pattern Waiver for the period starting October 1, 2021, approvals are valid through June 30, 2022.
- CACFP: If you have applied, and been approved for a Meal Pattern Waiver for the period starting July 1, 2021, approvals are valid through June 30, 2022.
As a reminder, you may need to submit additional meal pattern waivers for the various meal pattern requirements you are requesting to be waived.
The CDE is currently updating the COVID-19 Guidance in the CNPs web pages, the waiver application language, and the autogenerated responses to reflect this policy revision.
For any questions regarding this update or if you have already opted into the waivers and need more information, please contact your respective program’s county specialist. The county specialist for each program can be found under the following Form IDs in the Child Nutrition Information and Payment System Download Forms section:
- Summer Food Service Program (SFSP)—Form ID SFSP 01
- National School Lunch Program, School Breakfast Program, and Seamless Summer Option—Form ID Caseload
- CACFP—Form ID CACFP 01