COVID-19: USDA Child Nutrition Responses
On April 21, 2020, the U.S. Department of Agriculture
- SP15-2020, CACFP 09-2020, SFSP 08-2020: Child Nutrition Program Meal Service during Novel Coronavirus Outbreaks: Questions and Answers #4
This guidance is directed to Civil Rights clarifications and clarifications related to the operation of the Child and Adult Care Food Program (CACFP).
- COVID-19: Child Nutrition Response #14, Nationwide Waiver to Allow Area Eligibility for Closed Enrolled Sites in the Summer Food Service Program and the National School Lunch Program Seamless Summer Option (PDF).
This waiver allows closed enrolled sites to determine site eligibility through area eligibility without collecting income eligibility applications.
- COVID-19: Child Nutrition Response #15, Nationwide Waiver to Waive First Week Site Visits in the Summer Food Service Program (PDF).
This waiver allows Summer Food Service Programs (SFSP) operators to waive the first week site visit for sites that have operated successfully in the previous year and program sponsors that have successfully participated in the CACFP or the National School Lunch Program (NSLP).
- COVID-19: Child Nutrition Response #16, Nationwide Waiver to Allow Offer Versus Serve Flexibilities in the Summer Food Service Program (PDF).
This waiver is for SFSP operators and is available to both School Food Authorities (SFAs) and non-SFA program operators in good standing. SFAs may provide Offer Versus Serve (OVS) under the rules followed for the NSLP without a waiver. However, SFAs and non-SFAs must submit a waiver to follow the SFSP rules for OVS.
- COVID-19: Child Nutrition Response #17, Nationwide Waiver of Meal Service Time Restrictions in the Summer Food Service Program and the National School Lunch Program Seamless Summer Option (PDF).
This waiver allows flexibility in the amount of time that must elapse between the beginning of one meal and the beginning of the next, and the duration of a meal service.
To apply to operate under one or all of the above waivers, please complete the application at SFSP Extension Waivers. These waivers are effective immediately, and remain in effect through September 30, 2020.
For more comprehensive COVID-19 Guidance, please visit the School and Child and Adult Day Care Meals web page.
For any questions regarding these waivers, please contact your SFSP or Seamless Summer Option (SSO) County Specialist. The County Specialist list for SFSP is available in the Child Nutrition Information and Payment System (CNIPS) Download Forms section, Form ID SFSP 01. The County Specialist list for SSO is available in the CNIPS Download Forms section, Form ID Caseload.