Skip to main content
California Department of Education Logo

Accident Report (SR1) Form Compliance Requirements

The California Department of Education, Office of School Transportation, has received inquiries on the use of the Department of Motor Vehicle (DMV) form SR-1.

Vehicle Code (VC) 16000 (a) The driver of a motor vehicle who is in any manner involved in an accident originating from the operation of the motor vehicle on a street or highway, or is involved in a reportable off-highway accident, as defined in Section 16000.1, that has resulted in damage to the property of any one person in excess of seven hundred fifty dollars ($750), or in bodily injury, or in the death of any person shall report the accident, within ten days after the accident, either personally or through an insurance agent, broker, or legal representative, on a form approved by the department, to the office of the department at Sacramento, subject to this chapter. The driver shall identify on the form, by name and current resident address, if available, any person involved in the accident complaining of bodily injury.

(b) A report is not required under subdivision (a) if the motor vehicle involved in the accident was owned or leased by, or under the direction of, the United States, this state, another state, or a local agency...

The SR-1 report is not required to be submitted to the DMV if the motor vehicle involved in an accident is owned by or leased by, or under the direction of, the United States, the state of California, another state, or a local agency.

Vehicles owned by a school district, but operated by a contractor are not required to complete and submit the SR-1 form to the DMV.

Questions regarding this instructor bulletin can be directed to the Department of Education's Office of School Transportation at 916-375-7100.

Questions:   Anna Borges | | 916-375-7100
Last Reviewed: Monday, December 11, 2017