March 28, 2016
State Schools Chief Tom Torlakson Announces
2016 Model Continuation High Schools
SACRAMENTO—State Superintendent of Public Instruction Tom Torlakson announced today the designation of 37 Model Continuation High Schools for 2016. These schools are being recognized for their innovative teaching approaches that enable students with diverse needs to complete their high school education.
"I commend these schools for their exceptional work in keeping our students on the path to career and college readiness," Torlakson said. "Thanks to the guidance and support offered, our students leave with a high-quality education and the self-confidence required to build a better future."
Continuation high schools meet the needs of students aged 16 years or older who have not graduated from high school, are at risk of not graduating, and are not exempt from compulsory school attendance. The minimum attendance is 15 hours per week or 180 minutes daily.
Students benefit from the supplemental programs and services offered, such as independent study courses, career counseling, job placement, apprenticeships, and concurrent enrollment in community college.
More than 60,000 students attended the state's 460 continuation high schools in the 2014–15 school year.
The Model Continuation High School Recognition Program is a partnership between the California Department of Education (CDE) and the California Continuation Education Association (CCEA). A benefit of this joint effort is the establishment of a resource list of quality programs, which can serve as models for other continuation high schools.
The selected schools, which retain their title for three years, will be recognized at the 2016 CCEA State Conference April 29 to May 1, 2016, in Riverside.
California's 2016 Model Continuation High Schools
- Abraham Lincoln High School, 4341 Victoria Avenue, Riverside, CA, 92507-5009, Pamela Mshana, Principal, 951-788-7371
- Alta Vista High School, 1325 Bryant Avenue, Mountain View, CA, 94040-4527, Bill Pierce, Principal, 650-691-2433
- Alvord Continuation High School, 3606 Pierce Street, Riverside, CA, 92503-4925, Sandy Fielding, Principal, 951-358-1715
- Amistad High School, 83501 Dillon Avenue, Indio, CA, 92201-3325, David Gustafson, Principal, 760-775-3570
- Brea Canyon High School, 689 North Wildcat Way, Brea, CA, 92821-7400, Carol Christman, Principal, 714-990-7882
- Citrus High School, 261 East Mulberry Avenue, Porterville, CA, 93257-4822, Scott Braden, Principal, 559-782-7130
- Donald C. Jamison High School, 351 East Bush Street, Lemoore, CA, 93245-3601, Sandi Lowe, Principal, 559-924-6620
- El Camino Real Continuation High School, 1351 East Orangethorpe Avenue, Placentia, CA, 92870-5302, Gordon Chamberlin, Principal, 714-986-0294
- George and Evelyn Stein High School, 650 West 10th Street, Tracy, CA, 95376, Cynthia Johannes, Principal, 209-830-3395
- Glen View High School, 905 Michigan Avenue, Beaumont, CA, 92223, Matt Russo, Principal, 951-769-8424
- Hare (Marie L.) High School, 12012 Magnolia Street, Garden Grove, CA, 92841-1644, Todd Nirk, Principal, 714-663-6508
- Independence High School, 6501 Balboa Boulevard, Van Nuys, CA, 91406-5526, Jason Camp, Principal, 818-881-7737
- Ivy High School, 1056 Winterhaven Road, Fallbrook, CA, 92028-4500, Melissa Marovich, Principal, 760-723-6395
- Junipero Serra High School, 31422 Camino Capistrano, San Juan Capistrano, CA, 92675-2600, Meg Ervais, Principal, 949-489-7216
- Kaweah High School, 21215 Avenue 300, Exeter, CA, 93221-9731, Darin Pace, Principal, 559-592-4420
- Kings River High School, 1801 Seventh Street, Sanger, CA, 93657-2895, Rick Church, Principal, 559-524-6490
- La Cuesta Continuation High School, 710 Santa Barbara Street, Santa Barbara, CA, 93101-2232, Elise Simmons, Principal, 805-966-0883
- Lee V. Pollard High School, 185 Magnolia Avenue, Corona, CA, 92879-3329, Michael Ridgway, Principal, 951-736-3367
- Lloyde (R.K.) High School, 14901 Inglewood Avenue, Lawndale, CA, 90260-1251, James Tarouilly, Principal, 310-263-3264
- March Mountain High School, 24551 Dracaea Avenue, Moreno Valley, CA, 92553-3745, Sean McMurray, Principal, 951-571-4800
- Nueva Vista High School, 6836 34th Street, Jurupa Valley, CA, 92509-1301, Michelle Markham, Principal, 951-360-2802
- Ortega High School, 520 Chaney Street, Building 100, Lake Elsinore, CA, 92530-1230, Amy Campbell, Principal, 951-253-7065
- Pacific Career and Technology High School, 6560 Melrose Drive, North Highlands, CA, 95660-4375, Shane Yang, Principal, 916-566-2715
- Park West High School, 1460 East Holt, Suite 100, Pomona, CA, 91767, Neville Brown, Principal, 909-397-4900
- Redondo Shores High School, 1000 Del Amo Street, Redondo Beach, CA, 90277-3034, Sue Hall, Principal, 310-798-8690
- Redwood High School, 18400 Clifton Way, Castro Valley, CA, 94546-0146, Erica Ehmann, Principal, 510-537-3193
- Rose City High School, 351 South Hudson Avenue, Pasadena, CA, 91109-3507, Jack Loos, Principal, 626-396-5620
- Ruben Salazar High School, 9115 Balflour Street, Pico Rivera, CA, 90660-3225, Reynaldo Reyes, Principal, 562-801-5021
- Sierra High School, 570 East Ninth Street, San Bernardino, CA, 92410-3898, Rose Lalama, Principal, 909-388-6478
- Silverado Continuation High School, 25632 Peter A. Hartman Way, Mission Viejo, CA, 92691-3118, David Gordon, Principal, 949-586-8800
- Slover Mountain High School, 18829 Orange Street, Bloomington, CA, 92316, Kristi Richardson, Principal, 909-580-5013
- Somerset High School, 9242 East Laurel Street, Bellflower, CA, 90706-7607, Mark Kailiponi, Principal, 562-804-6548
- Thornton High School, 115 First Avenue, Daly City, CA, 94014-2643, Monica Casey, Principal, 650-550-7840
- Twin Oaks High School, 158 Cassou Road, San Marcos, CA, 92069-9702, Mary Bunker, Principal, 760-290-2555
- Val Verde High School, 972 West Morgan Street, Perris, CA, 92571-3103, Steven Coelho, Principal, 951-940-6155
- Valley High School, 1927 Randolph Street, Delano, CA, 93215-1526, Chris Juarez, Principal, 661-720-4180
- Whitcomb High School, 350 West Mauna Loa Avenue, Glendora, CA, 91740-4399, Ron Letourneau, Principal, 626-852-4550
# # # #
Tom Torlakson —
State Superintendent of Public Instruction
Communications Division, Room 5602, 916-319-0818, Fax 916-319-0100