Skip to main content
California Department of Education Logo
California Department of Education News Release (with no CDE logo)
California Department of Education
News Release
Release: #18-44
June 15, 2018
Contact: Cynthia Butler
Phone: 916-319-0818

State Schools Chief Tom Torlakson Announces Updated List of
Programs Serving Nutritious Meals to Low-income Families

SACRAMENTO—State Superintendent of Public Instruction Tom Torlakson announced today that disadvantaged families in California can now find updated lists of child and adult care centers offering nutritious meals at low or no cost through the California Department of Education’s website.

“Providing children with healthy meals is critical to their physical, emotional, and academic growth,” said Torlakson. “Parents who are struggling with food insecurity can find out where to go to ensure their children receive the proper nutrition they need to thrive. I encourage families to take advantage of these centers.”

The Child and Adult Care Food Program (CACFP) is funded by the U.S. Department of Agriculture. Over 8,000 local child care centers and 14,000 sponsored day care home providers in California participate. These facilities provide nutritious food to infants, children, and adults.

All children enrolled in these day care homes receive meals at no charge. Most participating child care centers also provide meals at no charge, or free and reduced-price (F/RP) meals are available.

Child care centers can provide F/RP meals if families of children in their care meet household income eligibility guidelines. For example, a family of four earning $32,630 a year can qualify for free meals and snacks. Also, a family of four earning $46,435 a year can qualify for reduced-price meals and snacks.

Child care centers or day care home providers with children in households that receive California Work Opportunity and Responsibility to Kids, CalFresh, Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations (FDPIR), Head Start, Early Head Start, or the Even Start Program are automatically eligible at the free rate. Adult day care centers with adults that receive CalFresh, FDPIR, Social Security Income, or Medicaid benefits are also eligible for reimbursement at the free rate. Institutions serve meals to all participants regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, or disability.*

To find day care home sponsors in your area, visit the interactive CACFP Day Care Home Sponsors web page and search by county. For a child or adult day care center, visit the interactive 2018 CACFP Center Sites web page and search by county.

Below are The Income Eligibility Scales for 2018–19 for F/RP meals and snacks.

Free Eligibility Scale: Meals, Snacks
Household Size Annual Monthly Twice Per Month Every Two Weeks Weekly

















































For each additional family member, add:






Reduced-price Eligibility Scale: Meals and Snacks
Household Size Annual Monthly Twice Per Month Every Two Weeks Weekly

















































For each additional family member, add:






*In accordance with federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by the USDA.

Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g., braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.) should contact the agency (state or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing, or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at 800-877-8339. Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.

To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form (AD-3027) (PDF), found online on the USDA Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights Complaint Resolution web page and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call 866-632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by:

  1. Mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture
    Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights
    1400 Independence Avenue, SW
    Washington, D.C. 20250-9410

  2. Fax: 202-690-7442

  3. Email:

This institution is an equal opportunity provider.

# # # #

Tom Torlakson — State Superintendent of Public Instruction
Communications Division, Room 5602, 916-319-0818, Fax 916-319-0100

Last Reviewed: Friday, June 15, 2018
Recently Posted in News Releases