State Advisory Council (SAC) ResourcesResources developed for the State Advisory Council on Early Learning and Care (SAC).
- Access to Quality: Early Learning for California Preschoolers in Subsidized License-Exempt Settings (PDF; 1MB)
Summary of findings and policy recommendations on improving access to school readiness experiences for preschoolers in license-exempt care in California. This project examined: 1) the reasons why parents choose license-exempt child care, and their knowledge of the options that may be available to them; 2) the opportunities for and barriers to improving school readiness experiences for at-risk children who attend full-time, license-exempt child care; and 3) how license-exempt providers, and school readiness and preschool programs, might better coordinate and blend their offerings for families.
- California Comprehensive Early Learning Plan (PDF; 7MB)
California's Comprehensive Early Learning Plan (CCELP), or the "Plan," provides key direction for the State in the development of a high-quality birth-to-age-five system that provides all children with the knowledge and skills they need to achieve long-term success. The Plan is based on extensive research and stakeholder engagement, and it suggests changes that, if implemented, would make California's early learning system more coherent and effective.
Background Information on the development of the CCELP
- Condition of Children Birth to Age Five and Status of Early Childhood Services in California
A meta-analysis of the existing research on the condition of California‘s young children and the status of the state’s early childhood services.
- California's Best Practices for Young Dual Language Learners: Research Overview Papers (PDF; 3MB)
California’s Best Practices for Young Dual Language Learners: Research Overview Papers is a series of six research overviews of areas that impact and inform best practices in supporting the development of young dual language learners. The papers include:
- Neuroscience Research: How Experience with One or More Languages Affects the Developing Brain
- Cognitive Consequences of Dual Language Learning: Cognitive Function, Language and Literacy, Science and Mathematics, and Social-Emotional Development
- Program Elements and Teaching Practices to Support Young Dual Language Learners
- Family Engagement in Early Childhood Programs: Serving Families of Dual Language Learners
- Assessment of Young Dual Language Learners in Preschool
- Early Intervention and Young Dual Language Learners with Special Needs
- Local Quality Improvement Efforts and Outcomes Descriptive Study
A study to support the state of California and its counties in their efforts to build robust, evidence-based quality improvement systems.
- Early Childhood Educator Competencies Self-Assessment Toolkit (ECE CompSAT)
The ECE CompSAT is a new self-paced assessment toolkit for early education professionals.
- Transitional Kindergarten Implementation Guide (PDF; 2MB)
A Resource For California Public School District Administrators and Teachers
Questions: Early Education and Support Division | 916-322-6233
Last Reviewed: Thursday, June 14, 2018