Management Bulletin 22-03This Management Bulletin notifies and provides guidance to California State Preschool Program Contractors about requirements for the fiscal year 2021–22 Program Self Evaluation.
Early Education Division
Subject: Fiscal Year 2021–22 Program Self-Evaluation for California State Preschool Program Contractors
Date: March 16, 2022
Expires: Until rescinded or superseded by regulations
Authority: California Code of Regulations, Title 5 (5 CCR) sections 18023, 18270.5, 18272, 18279, 18280, and 18281
Attention: Executive Directors and Program Directors of all California State Preschool Programs
This Management Bulletin (MB) notifies and provides guidance to California State Preschool Program (CSPP) contractors of the requirements and instructions for submitting the Program Self-Evaluation (PSE), due to the California Department of Education (CDE), Early Education Division (EED) on or before June 1, 2022. This MB rescinds and replaces MB 21-05.
Each contractor shall develop and implement an annual plan for its program self-evaluation process. Each CSPP contractor shall use the PSE report to submit a summary of the findings of the PSE to the CDE by June 1, of each year.
Each CSPP contractor shall conduct the fiscal year (FY) 2021–22 PSE using the FY 2021–22 Program Instrument (PI), items one (1) through 20, to determine areas in which the contractor did and did not meet the standards of the CSPP contract requirements. The FY 2021–22 PI document can be accessed at https://www.cde.ca.gov/sp/cd/ci/documents/eed2122.docx.
Each CSPP contractor must include program staff and board members, as applicable, in the self-evaluation process, and maintain written documentation of their participation.
The CSPP contractor must analyze the findings from the self-evaluation of items 1–20 of the PI, including the Desired Results Developmental Profile (DRDP), the Environment Rating Scale (ERS), and the Desired Results parent survey, and complete the form EED 4000 to summarize all the following:
- An assessment, in narrative format, of the staff and board members’ (as applicable) participation in the PSE process, and
- Program areas that did not meet standards, and a list of tasks to improve in those areas in a timely and effective manner, and
- Program areas that did meet standards and procedures for ongoing monitoring to ensure those areas continue to meet standards.
The form EED 4000, accompanying instructions for completing the form, and frequently asked questions can be accessed on the CDE, PSE web page at https://www.cde.ca.gov/sp/cd/ci/pseforms.asp.
Considerations Due to the Ongoing COVID-19 Pandemic
Desired Results Parent Survey
Gathering information from parents participating in the program provides valuable feedback on the quality of the services provided. The requirement for Parent Survey is described in 5 CCR Section 18280.
Contractors may deliver and collect surveys in a format that is easily accessible and convenient to families. This may include digital surveys, electronic submissions, and/or mailed hardcopies. To the greatest extent possible, surveys should be provided in the family's preferred language. Contractors should give parents ample time to complete surveys and opportunity to ask contractors and providers questions and at a minimum, provided in languages sufficient to comply with language access laws. Surveys must be made accessible to individuals with disabilities. This includes providing reasonable modifications upon request.
Environment Rating Scale
Environment Rating Scales described in 5 CCR Section 18281 requires that direct service contractors complete an Environment Rating Scale on all classrooms or homes as a part of the self-evaluation process. The Environmental Rating Scales on classrooms/homes may be completed by program staff/providers or an outside assessor.Following the recommendation from the Environment Rating Scale Institute (ERSI) on the use of the ERS during pandemic conditions, the ERS should be completed for programs open and serving children. In addition, the scores can and should be used to inform best practice. The CDE, EED encourages all agencies to score “good” or five (5) on all subscales, especially Personal Care Routines during this time to follow health and safety measures to prevent the spread of COVID-19. The CDE, EED understands that some subscales may not score a “good” or five (5) depending on COVID-19 mitigation strategies agencies needed to employ.
Submission Requirements for the PSE
CSPP contractors are required to submit the form EED 4000 to the CDE, EED on or before Wednesday, June 1, 2022, by 5:00 p.m. The completed, signed form EED 4000 must be submitted via email to the PSE inbox at PSEFY2122@cde.ca.gov.
Note: The form EED 4000 may be signed electronically. Alternatively, the CSPP contractor may print, sign, and scan the form EED 4000.
Record Retention Requirements for the PSE
All supporting documentation for the FY 2021–22 PSE must be retained on-site by the CSPP contractor, and be made available to the CDE, EED upon request. Supporting documentation to be retained includes:
- Completed Environment Rating Scales
- Environment Rating Scale Classroom/Agency Summary of Findings
- Desired Results Parent Survey results and Summary of Findings
- DRDP Classroom/Site/Agency Summary of Findings
- An assessment of the program by staff and board members as evidenced by written documentation
- Documentation from the self-evaluation process used to develop a written list of tasks needed to modify the program in order to address all areas that need improvement
In accordance with 5 CCR Section 18067, all records shall be retained for a minimum period of five (5) years.
Background and Authority
The PSE requirements are described in 5 CCR sections 18023, 18270.5, 18272, 18279, 18280, and 18281.
Pursuant to 5 CCR Section 18279, the annual PSE shall include the following:
- A self-evaluation of the program based on the use of the PI.
- An assessment of the program by parents using the Desired Results Parent Survey.
- An assessment of the program by staff and board members, as evidenced by written documentation.
- An analysis of the PI findings, including the DRDP, the ERS, and the Desired results parent survey, together with all other self-evaluation findings.
- A written list of tasks needed to modify the program in order to address all areas that need improvement, as indicated in the analysis of the findings, and
- Procedures for the ongoing monitoring of the program to ensure that areas of the program that are satisfactory continue to meet standards, and areas requiring modification are addressed in a timely and effective manner.
CSPP contractors shall modify their programs to address any areas identified during the self-evaluation as needing improvement.
If you have questions regarding submission requirements for the FY 2021–22 PSE, please email PSEFY2122@cde.ca.gov.
If you have programmatic questions related to completing the FY 2021–22 PSE, please contact your assigned EED, Program Quality Implementation (PQI) office regional consultant. The EED, PQI regional consultant directory web page can be accessed at https://www.cde.ca.gov/sp/cd/ci/assignments.asp.
This Management Bulletin is mandatory only to the extent that it sites a specific statutory or regulatory requirement, and is not prescriptive, pursuant to California Education Code (EC) 33308.5.