Assembly Bills 1505 and 1507Information for charter school authorizers, charter schools, and parents regarding the implementation of AB 1505 and AB 1507.
This web page serves as a centralized location for matters related to the implications and implementation of Assembly Bill 1505 and AB 1507. A summary of the bills as well as information of the California Department of Education's (CDE's) ongoing work surrounding the implementation of both bills are available under State Board of Education Information Memoranda.
State Board of Education Information Memoranda
Information memoranda presented to the State Board of Education (SBE) regarding AB 1505 and AB 1507 are available below as well as at Information Memoranda:
- Charter School Legislation Updates: Assembly Bill 1505 and AB 1507 (DOCX; Posted 31-Oct-2019) provides a summary of AB 1505 and AB 1507, as well as the implications of the new legislation on the role of the SBE, the Advisory Commission on Charter Schools, and the CDE.
- Implementation Update: Assembly Bill 1505 and AB 1507 (DOCX; Posted 29-May-2020) provides information and background on the ongoing work of the CDE in conjunction with SBE staff pertaining to the implementation of AB 1505 and AB 1507.
Charter School Performance Category Data File
A list of charter schools and their respective performance categories, as determined by the criteria outlined in AB 1505 is provided in the Charter School Performance Category Data File (XLSX).
Information regarding each field of the aforementioned data file is available at Record Layout for Charter School Performance Category Data File.
Additional information regarding the determination of charter school performance categories is available in the Determining Charter School Performance Category Flyer (PDF).
Frequently Asked Questions
Answers to frequently asked questions related to AB 1505 and AB 1507 are available at AB 1505 and 1507 FAQs.
Detailed information regarding select topics addressed in AB 1505 and AB 1507 are available below:
- Continuing Charter Schools
- Renewal Criteria and Performance Categories
- Teacher Credentialing
- Temporary Prohibition on New Nonclassroom-Based Charter Schools
Education Code sections 47605 and 47605.1 require the CDE to treat any charter school that was serving students and must change authorizers as a result of the requirements in AB 1507 as “continuing for all purposes.” In order to help identify which charter schools are to be treated as continuing, the CDE has developed the Charter School Action Form. A downloadable copy of the Charter School Action Form as well as detailed information and instructions are available at Charter School Numbers and Changes in Authorizers.
Information regarding the performance categories for charter school renewals is available in the slide deck from the June 23, 2020, Assembly Bill 1505: Criteria for Performance Categories Webinar (PDF).
Updates from the Commission on Teacher Credentialing are available at the following:
- Coded Correspondence 20-01: Changes to Assignment Monitoring Based on the Provisions of AB 1219 (PDF)
- Coded Correspondence 20-02: Changes to the Credential Requirements for Charter School Teachers Based on the Provisions of AB 1505 (PDF)
Information regarding the temporary prohibition on the approval of petitions to operate new nonclassroom-based charter schools between January 1, 2020, and January 1, 2022, is available at Temporary Prohibition on New Nonclassroom-Based Charter Schools.
Return to Charter Schools