Skip to main content
California Department of Education Logo

PCSGP Planning and Implementation Sub-grant FAQS

Frequently Asked Questions regarding the Public Charter Schools Grant Program.

Planning and Implementation (P/I) Sub-grant

Frequently Asked Questions

Are payments sent as advances?

This grant is a reimbursement grant. Payments are reimbursement payments based on reported and allowable expenditures. Expenditures are reported by completing and submitting Quarterly Expenditure Reports (QERs) to . The charter school site administrator must sign the QER. PCSGP staff will review the QER(s), and once approved, a reimbursement payment will be scheduled, if applicable.

Where will the payment be sent?

Where the payment is mailed depends on whether the charter school is open and active or if they are in their planning phase. If a directly-funded charter school is open and active, the payment will be routed through their County Office. If a locally-funded charter school is open and active, the payment will be routed through their District Office. If the charter school is still in their planning phase, the payment will be mailed to the address on file with the California Department of Education (CDE) Accounting Office. PCSGP applicants complete a Payee Data Record (STD. 204) at the time of PCSGP application submission. This form is used to create a vendor account for the non-profit organization in their planning phase.

How long will it take to receive our payment?

There are two types of payments: reimbursement and final. Payments are processed in groups. If a school misses a quarterly reporting deadline, their payment will be delayed until more than one payment is ready to be processed. Regardless of the payment type, once scheduled, the payment takes approximately 8–10 weeks to fully process. Payments make many stops including internal approvals as well as external approvals. QERs submitted after the due date could be delayed an additional 2–3 weeks.

Can a school submit QERs early?

Yes, the school does not need to wait until the due date. Early submissions do not guarantee that a reimbursement payment will be processed sooner, as payments are scheduled in batches.

Is any amount of the grant withheld?

Yes, 10 percent of the grant amount is withheld to ensure all grant deliverables are met. To ensure compliance, please refer to the Request for Applications under which you applied to familiarize yourself with each grant deliverable.

If the charter school has unspent funding, will it roll over to the following fiscal year?

Yes, if your grant end date has not passed, monies will carry forward to the following fiscal year. Carryover will remain in the same object code as originally budgeted, however, please pay special attention to planning phase monies carrying forward to the implementation phase. Some costs that would typically be allowable in the planning phase are no longer allowable once the charter school opens. Therefore the projected unspent funding must be re-allocated by completing a Budget Revision Request Form (BRRF) and submitting that form for review and approval. Refer to the PCSGP Non-Allowable Fact Sheet for more information.

If all the money in one fiscal year is expended, can the school access the funds for the next year early?

No, funding is allocated by fiscal year and cannot be accessed early.

Can a school use grant funds for items or services received after the end of the grant?

Standard accounting practices allow the grant funds to be legally encumbered via purchase orders or service contracts prior to the end of the grant. These items must be expensed/paid within 90 days of the close of the grant.

What if the school decides to change how it will spend the grant dollars?

All grantees are bound by the budget submitted with the grant application and approved by CDE. If the grantee wishes to make any changes, a budget revision request form must be submitted and approved by the CDE.

What is a Data Universal Numbering System (DUNS)?

In order to improve the statistical reporting of federal grants and cooperative agreements, the Office of Management and Budget has directed federal agencies to require all applicants to provide a Dun and Bradstreet (D&B) Data Universal Numbering System (DUNS) number when applying for Federal grants. A DUNS number is a unique nine-character number used to identify your organization that the federal government uses to track how federal money is allocated. Obtaining a DUNS number is the first step in registering as an organization applicant in Please visit the D&B website, at, or call 1-866-705-5711 to register or search for your DUNS number.

If the charter school is open and serving students, the DUNS number must include the charter school name and school site address. If the charter school is in their planning phase, the DUNS number would be under the legal business name of the non-profit organization and address, until the charter school is open and serving students.
Why does our charter need to register our DUNS number with the System for Award Management?

Pursuant to Chapter 2 of the Code of Federal Regulations, Part 25.205, an applicant must be registered in the System of Award Management (SAM) prior to submitting an application or plan to be considered for funding. Once awarded, a sub-grantee must maintain an active SAM registration with current information at all times during which it has an active Federal award to receive federal funding. The sub-grantee must renew and update on an annual basis from the date of initial registration or subsequent updates its information in the SAM database to ensure it is current, accurate, and complete. Failure to maintain a current, accurate SAM account may result in delayed grant distributions or termination of a grant award.

Questions:   PCSGP General | | 916-322-6029
Last Reviewed: Wednesday, April 11, 2018