Correspondence and DocumentsWritten materials that offer guidance to public and private schools about private school issues.
Private School Participation in ESEA Act of 2001
The information below provides guidance, timelines, and material supporting effective mandated private school consultation and provision of equitable services for non-profit private school teachers, leaders, and students, consistent with the Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 2001.
The California Department of Education (CDE) provides contract funding for a public school district or county office of education to design and implement a statewide professional development system to support needs of educators and administrators in California's nonprofit, private schools, consistent with the ESEA Title IX, Part E equitable services mandate and Title II, Part A.
- ESEA, Title IX, Part E Uniform Provisions, Subpart 1 Private Schools Sec. 9501 Participation by Private School Children and Teachers
- Every Student Succeeds Act, Title I Section 1117, Title VIII Section 8501 (Note: Title II Professional Development provisions will come into effect during the 2017-18 school year, upon approval of California's State Plan by the U.S. Department of Education).
- Federal Non-Regulatory Guidance: ESEA Title IX, Part E Uniform Provisions
Guidance issued by the US Department of Education concerning the federal mandate for local education agencies (LEAs) to annually consult with nonprofit private schools and provide equitable federally-funded services for private school students, teachers, and other educational personnel, and, in some cases, families.
- Federal Non-Regulatory Guidance: ESEA Title II, Part A Improving Teacher Quality
Guidance issued by the US Department of Education concerning the federal mandate for LEAs to provide nonprofit private school teachers, principals and other educational personnel with professional development services to the extent that the LEA uses Title II, Part A funds for professional development for its teachers and other school personnel.
- Equitable Services Implementation Plan
US Department of Education Web site providing resources to assist States and districts in implementing the equitable services requirements for students and teachers, consistent with the Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA) and the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA).
- Equitable Participation Provisions for Private Schools in No Child Left Behind
Federal Guidance, 2002.
- Suggested Private School Consultation/Equitable Services Timeline
Suggested California timeline for districts and private schools engaged in consultation.
- Letter to the Field Regarding Private Nonprofit School Participation in Elementary and Secondary Education Act Programs
May 11, 2016: Letter to County and District Superintendents, Charter School Administrators, Categorical Program Directors, and District Business Officers.
- California Guidance Document
Guidance for Private School Students, Teachers, and Other Education Personnel in Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA) (as of 3/8/2010).
- Password for Filing the Annual Private School Affidavit
September 22, 2017: Letter to Private School Administrators regarding filing the Annual Private School Affidavit, instructions, and password information.
- Report to the Legislature: Title II, Part A, Statewide Professional Development for Nonprofit, Private Schools 2013-14 Annual Report
- Report to the Legislature: Title II, Part A, Statewide Professional Development for Nonprofit, Private Schools 2012-13 Annual Report
- Report to the Legislature: Title II, Part A, Statewide Professional Development for Nonprofit, Private Schools 2011-12 Annual Report
- Report to the Legislature: Title II, Part A, Statewide Professional Development for Nonprofit, Private Schools 2010–11 Annual Report