FY 2019–20 CSI COE Fiscal Reporting InstructionsInstructions for county offices of education (COEs) that provide technical assistance to local educational agencies (LEAs) with schools meeting the criteria for Comprehensive Support and Improvement (CSI) Fiscal Year (FY) 2019–20 to use the GMART.
The Grant Management and Reporting Tool (GMART) is a web-based application that the COE will use to manage its ESSA CSI COE Subgrant and report fiscal data to the California Department of Education (CDE).
Fiscal Reporting Tips
- Expenditure and budget fields require data entry and if left blank the field will default to $0.00.
- The dollar amounts on all pages can be entered numerically with a decimal point depicting cents, as well as with symbols such as dollar signs ($) and commas (,) when entered in the correct position.
- The following are acceptable formats for an amount:
- The GMART is designed to use the latest available Indirect Cost Rates (ICRs).
The GMART Pages
Once eligibility for funding is determined, the CDE will email user names and passwords to COE Superintendents. Passwords are case-sensitive and cannot be reset or changed by the COE. If more than three attempts to log on have been made within one hour, the user will be locked out of the system. Contact the School Improvement and Support Office (SISO) at 916-319-0833 for assistance.
CSI COE Fiscal Information Web Page (Select Funding Year)
The GMART ESSA CSI COE home page displays the available Subgrant(s). Future years will be added to this page once school eligibility has been determined. Subgrant years will be labeled “2018–19 Every Student Succeeds Act Comprehensive Support and Improvement County Office of Education Subgrant,” “2019–20 Every Student Succeeds Act Comprehensive Support and Improvement County Office of Education Subgrant,” and so on.
The COE has access to submit and view its funding application. However, once its funding application has been approved, the COE can no longer edit its application. Approved funding applications can only be viewed as reference documents.
CDE Contact Information
This page displays contact information for the SISO office. When calling, reference the ESSA CSI COE Subgrant in order to be directed to CDE staff for assistance.
COE Contact Information
This page displays subgrant coordinator information reported by the COE and must be updated by the COE in the GMART. This information will be used to send updates and notifications pertaining to the ESSA CSI COE subgrant. The COE Contact Information page requires the following information for the Primary Grant Coordinator, Secondary Grant Coordinator, and Fiscal Coordinator:
- Phone Number
- Extension (optional)
- Email Address
- Fax (optional)
GMART Home Page
This page is used to revise project budgets and submit expenditure data at the end of each reporting period.
Displayed at the top of the Reports page is the COE’s allocation amount. Depending on the subgrant performance period timeline, this amount could include the Preliminary Allocation, Final Allocation, or it may have just one of the named allocations displayed. The current allocation amount appears at the far right of the table.
Project Budget Revision
When expenditure amounts claimed for object codes are in excess of 10 percent of the last approved project budget or if the Expenditure Description changes significantly, a request to revise the project budget is required. Revisions to the approved project budget must be approved by the CDE.
The Project Budget page will display the COE name, allocation amount, maximum indirect cost amount allowed, and current project budget status.
If the COE makes changes to its current project budget amount, the COE must enter a revised expenditure justification with sufficient detail in the Revised Expenditure Justification column detailing how the proposed changes will continue to meet the identified need(s) and directly align to the requirements outlined in the Application for Funding.
The Revised Expenditure Justification column is used to describe the actual expenditures for each major object code. Expenditure justifications must include the required detail as indicated on the CDE Guidance for Writing Expenditure Descriptions web page.There are three different indicators that let the COE know the current status of its budget:
- Project Budget Revision Approved: the project budget revision has been reviewed and is approved.
- Project Budget Revision Pending CDE Review: a project budget revision has been submitted and the CDE is reviewing the submission.
- Project Budget Revision Not Approved: the project budget revision has been reviewed and is not approved.
The Project Budget Revision table will display an error message if there are inconsistencies with the proposed submission. Revisions to the project budget cannot be submitted until the errors have been resolved. The Remarks box below the Project Budget Revision table is optional and can be used to provide additional information or answer clarifying questions from the CDE about the submitted data.
Once revisions have been entered, select the “Submit Budget Revision” button to notify the CDE that a revision to the project budget has been submitted. An automated message will be sent notifying the COE that its report has been submitted.
The CDE will review the project budget revision and provide notification by email that the project budget revision is approved or not approved. If a project budget revision is not approved, the CDE will provide clarification in the Remarks History stating why the project budget revision was not approved and what the COE must do to correct the project budget revision. A project budget revision that is not approved will be accessible in the GMART for revisions.
The "Export Budget to Excel" button downloads the data into a Microsoft Excel file format. The file can be opened for viewing or saved for future reference. The file name is "ESSACOEBudgetDataExport.xls.”
The Required Reporting Dates table displays all reporting periods: Report 1 though Final Report. However, the COE will only be able to edit the current reporting period; prior and future reports will not be accessible. The COE must report expenditures by major object codes.
The Report 1 performance period crosses over two separate fiscal years, FY 2019–20 and FY 2020–21. To ensure that the COE uses the appropriate Indirect Cost Rate for expenditures from each separate fiscal year, the COE will report expenditures in Part 1 for March 25, 2020, to June 30, 2020, and separately for Part 2 for July 1, 2020, to September 30, 2020.
- Beginning with Report 2, COEs may claim part or all of the maximum allowed indirect costs, based on reported expenditures to date (including from past reports). Previously, COEs could only claim indirect costs based on reported expenditures for that specific reporting period.
- The Current Project Budget Amount column will prepopulate. Enter expenditure data for each object code, and enter zero if there are no expenditure data.
- The Expenditure Report table will display an error message if there are inconsistencies with the proposed submission. The fiscal report cannot be submitted until the errors have been resolved.
- The Remarks text box below the Expenditure Report table is optional and can be used to provide additional information or answer clarifying questions from the CDE about the expenditure data.
- Once all expenditures have been entered, select the “Submit Report” button to notify the CDE that the report has been submitted. An automated message will be sent notifying the COE that its report has been submitted.
- The CDE will review the report and provide notification by email if the report is approved or requires revisions. If a report requires revisions, select the “Show Report Submission and Review History” button to determine why the report requires revisions and the actions the COE must take in order to correct and resubmit the report. A report that requires revisions will be accessible in the GMART for revisions and resubmissions.
- The “Show Report Submission and Review History” button displays the history of all submissions, feedback, and CDE approvals.
- The "Export Report to Excel" button downloads the data into a Microsoft Excel file format. The file can be opened to view or saved for future reference. The file name is "ESSACOEReportDataExport.xls.
The Budget History displays all budgets that have been approved. This includes the initial approved budget as well as all subsequent approved budget revisions. Different versions of the budget can be selected from the drop-down menu located at the bottom of the Project Budget page. Each approved budget version has an associated date of approval.