GMART ESSA CSI LEA Fiscal Reporting InstructionsInstructions and guidance for local educational agencies (LEAs) with schools that meet the criteria for Comprehensive Support and Improvement (CSI) under the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) to use the Grant Management and Reporting Tool (GMART).
Fiscal Reporting Tips
- Expenditure fields require data entry and cannot be left blank. Enter “0” as the amount where there are no actual expenditures. If “0” is not entered in the appropriate field, an error message will appear. Error messages must be addressed before a report can be successfully submitted in the GMART.
- The dollar amounts on all pages can be entered numerically with a decimal point denoting cents, as well as with symbols such as dollar signs ($) and commas (,) when entered in the correct position.
- The following are acceptable formats for an amount:
- The GMART is designed to use the latest available Indirect Cost Rate (ICR).
The GMART Pages
User names and passwords were emailed to LEA Superintendents on February 4, 2019. Passwords are case-sensitive and cannot be reset or changed by the LEA. If more than three attempts to log on have been made within one hour, the user will be locked out of the system. Contact the School Improvement and Support Office (SISO) at 916-319-0833 for assistance.
GMART ESSA CSI LEA Home Page (Select Funding Year)
The GMART ESSA CSI LEA home page displays the different years of funding for the ESSA CSI LEA grant. Future years will be added to this page once school eligibility has been determined. Grant years will be labeled “2018–19 Every Student Succeeds Act Comprehensive Support and Improvement Local Educational Agency Grant,” “2019–20 Every Student Succeeds Act Comprehensive Support and Improvement Local Educational Agency Grant,” and so on.
The LEA has access to submit and view its funding application. However, once its funding application has been approved, the LEA can no longer edit its application. Approved funding applications can only be viewed as reference documents.
California Department of Education (CDE) Contact Information
This page displays contact information for the SISO office. When calling, reference the ESSA CSI LEA grant in order to be directed to CDE staff for assistance.
LEA Contact Information
This page displays grant coordinator information reported by the LEA and must be updated by the LEA in the GMART. This information will be used to send updates and notifications pertaining to the ESSA CSI LEA grant. The LEA Contact Information page requires the following information for the Primary Grant Coordinator, Secondary Grant Coordinator, and Fiscal Coordinator:
- Phone Number
- Extension (optional)
- Email Address
- Fax (optional)
This page is used to revise Funding Plans and submit expenditure data at the end of each reporting period.
Displayed at the top of the Reports page is the LEA’s allocation amount. Depending on the grant performance period timeline, this amount could include the preliminary allocation, revised allocation, final allocation, or it may have just one of the named allocations displayed. The current allocation amount appears at the far right of the table. The current allocation amount matches the column labeled as “Active” in the funding plan. All allocation amounts that are no longer the current allocation are labeled as “Closed.”
The ESSA CSI LEA Funding Plan lists the LEA and school name(s) for each row and includes columns listing the allocation amounts. There can be up to three funding columns labeled the Preliminary Funding Amount, Revised Funding Amount, and Final Funding Amount. Each column will be designated either “Closed” or “Active.” The LEA can only revise the “Active” column, and the revised column total must match the corresponding allocation in the final column.
- For example, if the “Adjusted Funding Plan (Revised Amount)” column is labeled as “Active,” then the total distribution must match the Revised Allocation in the allocations table.
- If the LEA changes its Funding Plan, the LEA must submit a justification with sufficient detail in the justification box below the Funding Plan table.
- Example: School A’s allocation was reduced by $25,000 due to contract savings for capacity-focused leadership coaching. School B was increased by $25,000 to include contracted services for coaching, modeling, observations, and feedback cycles designed to build the coaching capacity of site-based coaches.
The Expenditure Report table displays all reporting periods: Report 1, Report 2, Report 3, and the Final Report. However, the LEA will only be able to edit the current reporting period; prior and future reports will not be accessible. The LEA must report expenditures by major object code for all sites combined at the end of each report period.
- The Expenditure Narrative column is used to describe the actual expenditures at each major object code. The Expenditure Narrative must include sufficient detail.
- Non-example: Professional development for teachers
- Better example: 10 classroom teachers from x, x, and x CSI schools to attend 49 hours of job embedded teacher professional development focused on analysis of teaching and student learning and deepening teachers’ content knowledge and instructional practices, including alignment with curriculum, assessments, and standards.
- Non-example: Wraparound services
- Better example: Increase time for one clinical social work consultant from .5 FTE to 1 FTE. The increase in time provides for integrated wraparound services and supports linking academics with health and social services and community engagement. The increase in time allows the clinical social work consultant to team with the instructional coach and program director to build a student-support system to reach all students, including delivering teacher and administrator trainings in proven strategies that foster a safe, engaging learning environment and strong relationships.
- The Expenditure Report table will display error messages if the GMART determines there are inconsistencies with the proposed submission. The expenditure report cannot be submitted until the errors have been resolved.
- The Remarks box below the expenditure report is optional and can be used to provide additional information or answer clarifying questions about the expenditure data from the CDE.
- Once all expenditures have been entered, select “Submit Report” to notify the CDE that the report has been submitted. The LEA will receive an automated message notifying them that the report has been submitted.
- The CDE will review the report and provide notification by email that the report is approved or not approved. If a report is not approved, the CDE will provide clarification in the Remarks History stating why the report was not approved and what the LEA must do to correct the report. A report that is not approved will be accessible in the GMART for revisions.
- The "Show Remarks History" option displays the history of all submissions, approvals, and feedback from the CDE.
- The "Export Report to Excel" option downloads the data into a Microsoft Excel file format. The file can be opened to view or saved for future reference. The file name is "ESSALEAReportDataExport.xls.