Dear County and District Superintendents and Charter School Administrators:
2018–19 CALIFORNIA ASSESSMENT OF STUDENT PERFORMANCE AND PROGRESS APPORTIONMENT INFORMATION
California Education Code (EC) Section 60640(I)(1) requires that the State Superintendent of Public Instruction apportion funds to local educational agencies (LEAs) based on the actual number of pupils tested with the various California Assessment of Student Performance and Progress (CAASPP) assessments. In January 2019, the California State Board of Education approved the following LEA apportionment rates for assessments administered as part of the CAASPP System during the 2018–19 school year:
- $4.00 per pupil administered any portion of the Smarter Balanced Summative Assessments for English language arts/literacy (ELA) and mathematics
- $2.00 per pupil administered any portion of California Science Test
- $5.00 per pupil administered any portion of California Alternate Assessment (CAA) for ELA and mathematics
- $5.00 per pupil administered any portion of the CAA for Science
- $5.00 per pupil administered any portion of the California Spanish Assessment who are English learners (ELs) whose primary language is Spanish in grades three through eight and high school
- A $1.00 per-pupil LEA apportionment reimbursement rate for preparing and providing required electronic test registration information to the contractor prior to the beginning of the LEA’s testing window for pupils mandated to be tested who were then not tested because of a significant medical emergency or parent/guardian exemption
- A $2.52 per-pupil LEA apportionment reimbursement rate for CDE-certified grade two diagnostic tests administered during the 2018–19 school year, at the option and cost of the LEA per EC Section 60644
State law does not authorize LEA apportionments for the optional Smarter Balanced Interim Assessments or formative (Digital Library) tools that are provided as a part of the CAASPP System.
CDE State Assessment Apportionment System (SAAS)
By January 2020, the CDE will notify each LEA CAASPP coordinator that their CAASPP student data is ready to be certified in the SAAS. They will be provided log on information and asked to certify their student data online. The new system will indicate the SBE-approved per-pupil apportionment rates for the 2018–19 administration year. No action is required by the LEA until the notification is received from the CDE.
If you have any questions regarding the apportionment information, please contact Jeff Eres, Analyst, Fiscal Support Office of the Assessment Development and Administration Division, by phone at 916-319-0347 or by email at JEres@cde.ca.gov.
Michelle Center, Director
Assessment Development and Administration Division
cc: LEA CAASPP Coordinators