CAASPP Update, Issue 87California Assessment of Student Performance and Progress (CAASPP) e-mail update sent out on February 4, 2015.
The California Department of Education (CDE) California Assessment of Student Performance and Progress (CAASPP) Update is a regular e-mail for K–12 educators that focuses primarily on the Smarter Balanced assessments, which are a major component of the CAASPP system. Please forward this e-mail to any educators in your local educational agency (LEA) who would be interested in or benefit from this information.
- The 2015 Online Test Administration Manual is available through the Test Administration tab on the CAASPP website . Included are checklists for LEA CAASPP coordinators, site coordinators, and test administrators (TAs).
- Don’t forget to update the Test Operations Management System (TOMS) by adding your site coordinators and TAs in preparation for the administration of the Smarter Balanced Summative and Interim Assessments. For further information, view the 2015 Smarter Balanced Online Test Administration Workshop Webcast, accessible through the Training tab on the CAASPP website .
- The next Webcast, Test Security Guidance, is scheduled for Wednesday, February 18, from 1:00 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. This live Webcast can be viewed through the Training tab on the CAASPP website .
- Educational Testing Service (ETS) is currently recruiting educators to score students’ written responses for the Smarter Balanced Summative Assessments in English language arts/literacy and mathematics. View the online flyer (PDF) for more information about this recruitment effort.
The Smarter Balanced Interim Assessments are now available for K–12 educators. These optional assessments are designed to provide educators with information used to gauge student progress on the Common Core State Standards.
- TAs can set up test sessions for the interim assessments using the Test Administrator Interface. The Interim Hand Scoring System and Completion Reports are also available to support the Interim Assessment administration. Access to the Test Administrator Interface, Interim Hand Scoring System, and Completion Reports can be found on the CAASPP website . To access these components, TAs must first be given login access to TOMS by their LEA CAASPP coordinator or site coordinator. Learn about the interim assessment resources, including the need to set TA users in TOMS, by viewing the archived webcasts, Smarter Balanced Interim Assessments (Parts I and II) on the Training tab of the CAASPP website . The Completion Reports generated in TOMS provide a description of which students have completed all parts of an assigned assessment and which students have parts that still need to be completed.
- Additional resources designed to support the Interim Assessments have been posted to the Resources tab of the CAASPP website . Included are the Interim Assessment Administration Resource Guide and all the classroom activities, by grade and subject, which must be carried out prior to the administration of the interim assessment performance tasks.
- Note that interim assessment student reports will be available in late February.
Smarter Balanced continues to populate the Digital Library with professional development resources, assessment literacy modules, and instructional resources to aid educators in using the formative assessment process. Registered users of the Digital Library can log on by selecting the Smarter Balanced Digital Library button on the CAASPP website . Teachers who are not yet registered should check with their LEA CAASPP coordinator.This week, the following interactive Digital Library modules are highlighted for consideration:
- Introduction to the Individual Student Assessment Accessibility Profile (ISAAP) provides an overview of the ISAAP tool and outlines a process ensuring each student’s need(s) can be matched with appropriate universal tools, designated supports, and/or accommodations.
- Understanding the Smarter Balanced Summative Assessments contains information about the role of summative assessments and key design features of computer adaptive testing and performance tasks.
California Alternate Performance Assessment (CAPA) for Science Manipulative List
The CAPA for Science Manipulative List (PDF) for the 2015 administration has been posted.
To join the CDE CAASPP e-mail list, send a blank e-mail to email@example.com. Additional information about CAASPP system and Smarter Balanced activities is available on the CDE CAASPP System web page.
Questions about the CAASPP system assessments should be directed to 800-955-2954 or by e-mail to CalTAC@ets.org. Questions about the Digital Library should be directed to the Digital Library Help Desk at 855-631-1510 or by email to CalTAC@ets.org.