CAASPP Update, Issue 89California Assessment of Student Performance and Progress (CAASPP) e-mail update sent out on February 18, 2015.
The California Department of Education (CDE) California Assessment of Student Performance and Progress (CAASPP) Update is a regular e-mail for K–12 educators, including testing coordinators, that focuses primarily on the Smarter Balanced assessments, which are a major component of the CAASPP system. Please forward this e-mail to any educators in your local educational agency (LEA) who would be interested in or benefit from this information.
Starting March 10, 2015, the Smarter Balanced Summative Assessments will be available to LEAs with testing windows that open on March 10, 2015. In preparing for the Smarter Balanced summative administration, regularly visit the CDE CAASPP System web page and CAASPP website for new and updated resources and information.
- A number of key resources, instructions, and manuals, are available to support LEA staff in preparing for and administering the Smarter Balanced Summative Assessments. These include the Online Test Administration Manual; checklists for LEA CAASPP coordinators, site coordinators, and test administrators (TAs); and resources that address the universal tools, designated supports, and accommodations available for the Smarter Balanced assessments. All of these resources can be accessed from the Test Administration tab of the CAASPP website .
- Resources are also available to support LEA staff who communicate with parents and guardians about the Smarter Balanced assessments. A parent notification letter is available from the Students & Parents tab of the CDE CAASPP System web page. A Factsheet for Parents and a Smarter Balanced Fact Sheet are also available from the Smarter Balanced Assessment Consortium Parents & Students web page . All of these resources are available in Spanish.
- Scoring all parts of the Smarter Balanced Summative Assessments is being conducted through the Smarter Balanced test delivery system. All summative assessment items that require hand scoring will be scored by trained scorers. Educational Testing Service (ETS) is currently recruiting educators to score students’ written responses for the Smarter Balanced Summative Assessments in English language arts/literacy and mathematics. View the online flyer
(PDF) for more information about this recruitment effort.
- The new CAASPP Individual Student Report will be presented to the California State Board of Education (SBE) for approval at the next SBE meeting, scheduled for March 11–12, 2015. The March SBE meeting agenda will be available from the SBE web page, and a live video stream of this meeting will be available from the SBE Meeting Live webcast web page.
The Smarter Balanced Interim Assessments are available for use by California public school educators who are registered TAs.
- There are important differences between the interim assessments and the practice tests as they relate to preparing for the summative assessments. The interim assessments provide an indication of how well students are learning the content tested in the summative assessments. The items in the interim assessments are built using the same standards as the items in the summative assessments. The practice tests, on the other hand, are intended primarily to provide students and teachers with exposure to the technology and features that will be encountered on the summative assessments.
To familiarize students with the assessment environment, LEAs are encouraged to use the practice tests. LEAs are encouraged to reserve the interim assessments to gauge, at specific times during the school year, student readiness for the content in the summative assessments. Both the practice tests and interim assessments can be accessed through the CAASPP web site .
- The interim assessment system will be unavailable March 6 through 9, 2015 for scheduled maintenance. All other CAASPP services will remain available during this system downtime. The interim assessment system will be operational again on Tuesday, March 10, 2015.
- Learn more about the Smarter Balanced Interim Assessments by visiting the CDE CAASPP Interim Assessment web page, the CASSPP Web site TA Resources for the Interim Assessment web page , and viewing archived Interim Assessment webcasts .
All registered users of the Digital Library can log on by selecting the Smarter Balanced Digital Library button on the CAASPP website . Educators who are not yet registered should check with their LEA CAASPP coordinator or designee. This week, the following Digital Library resource is highlighted for consideration:
- Close Reading: Teaching Deeper Thinking with Students. This popular resource features downloadable resources designed to help educators understand close reading; including how this strategy connects to the Common Core State Standards and the formative assessment process.
To join the CDE CAASPP e-mail list, send a blank e-mail to email@example.com. Additional information about the CAASPP system and Smarter Balanced activities is available on the CDE CAASPP System web page.
Questions about the CAASPP system assessments should be directed to 800-955-2954, or by e-mail to CalTAC@ets.org. Questions about the Digital Library should be directed to the Digital Library Help Desk at 855-631-1510 or by email to CalTAC@ets.org.