CAASPP Update, Issue 91California Assessment of Student Performance and Progress (CAASPP) e-mail update sent out on March 4, 2015.
The California Department of Education (CDE) California Assessment of Student Performance and Progress (CAASPP) Update is a regular e-mail for K–12 educators, including testing coordinators, that focuses primarily on the Smarter Balanced assessments, which are a major component of the CAASPP system. Please forward this e-mail to any educators in your local educational agency (LEA) who would be interested in or benefit from this information.
Beginning next week, on March 10, 2015, the Smarter Balanced Summative Assessments will be available to LEAs with testing windows that open on March 10, 2015. In preparing for the Smarter Balanced summative administration, regularly visit the CDE CAASPP System web page and CAASPP website for new and updated resources and information.
- Encourage teachers who are going to administer the Smarter Balanced Summative Assessments to access the Test Administrator (TA) Interface prior to day of testing to ensure that the teacher can access the TA Interface. For security purposes, test administrators cannot use reset passwords on same day of testing.
- The Smarter Balanced Performance Task Classroom Activity assignments are posted on the CAASPP website
under the TA Resources Tab Summative Assessment Resources. Select your county then select your LEA to download the PDF that list the Classroom Activities for your schools. Note that the classroom activity is assigned by content area by grade within a school.
- A Test Administrator Reference Guide and Directions for Administration manuals are posted on the on the CAASPP website
under the TA Resources Tab Summative Assessment Resources.
- Important reminder about submitting individualized aid request form: Submit request form at least ten business days prior to student testing. The CDE will review and provide response within four business days. The online Individualized Aids Request form is available by selecting Forms under the Test Administration tab of the CAASPP website
- Important updated and relevant information about the CAASPP system status, including any alerts or planned downtimes, are posted to the CAASPP website
To view this information, select the System Status tab from the upper right on the CAASPP website
- Training videos and archived Webcasts are posted under the Training tab of the CAASPP website . Here you will find videos on a range of topics such as What is Computer Adaptive Testing (CAT)? and Embedded Universal Tools and Online Features. Live Webcasts are also accessible from the Training tab.
The Smarter Balanced Interim Assessment resources are available for use by California public school educators who are registered TAs. To administer the interim assessments, TAs must have their Test Operations Management System (TOMS) login to access the following four applications from the CAASPP website .
- TOMS – This application is for viewing and verifying students in the TOMS, including grade and other demographic information as well as student test settings. Any discrepancies should be communicated to the LEA CAASPP or site coordinators.
- TA Interface – This application is for setting up an interim test administration session; review student test settings; approve students to enter the session and begin testing; monitor student progress during testing; and ending a test session.
- Completion Status – This application is for generating reports of student progress and completion for any interim test administration. It allows filtering by a range of categories including school, grade, and completion status.
- Interim Assessment Hand Scoring System – This application is for TAs to hand score student responses for interim assessment constructed response or performance task items. It includes links to scoring resources such as training guides, rubrics, and exemplars (i.e., anchor papers).
Please note that the Interim Assessment Reporting System is coming soon. To access this system, TAs will need to use their Smarter Balanced Digital Library login.
As a reminder, the interim assessment system will be unavailable beginning at 5:00 p.m. PT on March 6, 2015, through 11:59 p.m. PT on March 9, 2015, due to scheduled maintenance. All other CAASPP services will remain available during this downtime. The interim assessment system will be operational again on Tuesday, March 10, 2015.
The Smarter Balanced Digital Library is an online library of over 2,600 resources, which is available to all California K–12 public educators to help tailor Common Core State Standards (CCSS) instruction to students’ needs using the formative assessment process. Educators who are not yet registered should contact their LEA CAASPP coordinator or designee.
Beginning March 16, 2015, Smarter Balance will host a Digital Library Spotlight Forum Series for all Digital Library users. The forums will feature English language arts/literacy and mathematics modules in the Digital Library. The forums will be facilitated by the developers of the modules who are well-known experts in content areas as well as experts in working with English language learners. During each forum, these experts will be available to discuss questions about their respective modules. The following modules will be featured March 16 through 20: Understanding Language Introductory Overview, K–2 Conversations, and 6–8 Writing. A Digital Library login is required to participate. More information about these and upcoming forums will be available in the next CAASPP update.
California Alternate Assessment Field Test
The California Alternate Assessment (CAA) field test will begin on April 15 and conclude on June 10, 2015. Webcast training for the CAA will occur on March 11, 2015, and is primarily designed for TAs. All TAs are required to view the two-hour training prior to test administration. LEA CAASPP and site coordinators will need to verify training has been completed in TOMS by checking a box.
All Special Education Local Plan Area (SELPA), special education directors, and staff are encouraged to regularly visit the CDE CAASPP Alternate Assessment web page for updated resources and information and to subscribe to the CAASPP e-mail list provided at the end of this update.
To join the CDE CAASPP email list, send a blank e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. Additional information about the CAASPP system and Smarter Balanced activities is available on the CDE CAASPP System web page. Questions about the CAASPP system assessments should be directed to 800-955-2954, or by email to CalTAC@ets.org. Questions about the Digital Library should be directed to the Digital Library Help Desk at 855-631-1510 or by email to CalTAC@ets.org.