Assessment Spotlight, Issue 64California Assessment of Student Performance and Progress (CAASPP) email update, October 2, 2019.
Focusing on the CAASPP System and English Language Proficiency Assessments of California (ELPAC)—and including, when timely, updates on California’s other statewide assessments.
Registration Closing Soon for 2019 California Assessment Conference!
Registration for this year’s California Assessment Conference in Oakland closes on October 9! Register now to learn how California educators can use the state’s comprehensive system of assessments to support teaching and learning in their schools and classrooms. Additional information about the October 16–18 event can be found at the online registration site. We look forward to seeing there!
October’s Featured Digital library Resource: “Juicy Introductions to Start Your Narrative—Delectable Beginnings to Start Your Story”
This month’s Digital Library resource, “Juicy Introductions to Start Your Narrative—Delectable Beginnings to Start Your Story,” helps grade eight students create strong beginnings in narrative writing using engaging introductory text (i.e., a hook) and a detailed exposition (e.g., setting, characters, background).
This instructional resource gives teachers step-by-step directions for using the gradual release teaching strategy of I do; we do; you do:
- I do: The teacher models, for the whole class, how to analyze texts using the resource handouts for identifying engaging hooks and a detailed exposition.
- We do: Students work in small groups to complete the same task, but with a new text. They practice explaining their findings in detail with a partner using the think-pair-share formative assessment strategy.
- You do: Students analyze their own writing to create an engaging hook with a detailed exposition for their own narrative writing.
The lesson includes supporting documents for teachers and students along with the Smarter Balanced rubric for narrative writing that can be printed for easy implementation in the classroom.
This instructional resource is part of the Smarter Balanced Connections Playlist: ELA Grade 8 Narrative Brief Writes. To access this playlist, visit the Smarter Balanced Digital Library (Digital Library account required).
Smarter Balanced Digital Library Connections Playlists for Focused Interim Assessment Blocks
The newly released focused Interim Assessment Blocks (IABs) have Connections Playlists that link IAB results to instructional resources so educators can tailor teaching and learning to students’ needs. With a Smarter Balanced Digital Library account, LEA staff now have access to 150 Connections Playlists, including:
- 42 new focused Connections Playlists
- 126 new instructional resources