2016–17 CAASPP Institute Training Materials
The 2016–17 California Assessment of Student Performance and Progress (CAASPP) Institute was a professional development opportunity offered statewide to local educational agency (LEA) teams. The Institute focused on utilizing all components of the CAASPP system of assessments and provided dedicated time for LEA teams to strategize ways to implement the components to improve teaching and learning.
This page includes session presentations and ancillary materials from the Institute that can be modified as needed by LEAs for local training. Presentations include speaker notes and a session-specific planning document to facilitate the delivery of and access to session content. Resources from the 2016–17 CAASPP Institute are organized according to the seven different session topics presented during the in-person training.
Fostering a Balanced Assessment System
This session considers the purpose and use of state and local educational assessments through a discussion of the U.S. Department of Education’s Testing Action Plan. Participants review various types of assessments and discuss tools designed to support the inventory, evaluation, and refinement of their local assessment systems.
- Fostering a Balanced Assessment System–Session Notetaking Handout (DOC)
- Assessment Types (Center on Standards and Assessment Implementation) (PDF)
- Activity Card Sort Structure–completed (DOC)
Accessible Alternative Version of the Activity Card Sort Structure–completed
- Activity Card Sort Structure–blank (DOC)
Accessible Alternative Version of the Activity Card Sort Structure–blank
- Activity Card Sort Structure–words only (DOC)
- Student Assessment Inventory
- Assessment Inventory Resource (Center on Standards and Assessment Implementation) (PDF)
- Fostering a Balanced Assessment–Planning Tool (DOC)
Using the "Teacher Guides to the Smarter Balanced Assessments" Effectively
This session provides information on the CDE Teacher Guides for Smarter Balanced content, focusing specifically on Sections 2 and 3 of the resource. Participants explore ways that the Teacher Guides, when unpacked through an interactive process over time, support teacher professional learning. The presentation includes the ways using the California curriculum frameworks and Smarter Balanced resources can guide participants toward planning for and integrating the Teacher Guides in productive professional settings.
- Teacher Guide Session Notetaking Handout (DOC)
- Smarter Balanced Teacher Guide—ELA Grade 6–8 (PDF; 1MB)
- Smarter Balanced Teacher Guide—Math Grade 6–8 (PDF; 3MB)
- Teacher Guides Planning Tool (DOC)
Using Interim Assessments to Support Teaching and Learning Throughout the Year
This session explores how the Smarter Balanced Interim Assessments can be used in both standardized and nonstandardized ways and how they can be used to provide teachers with valuable information about the strengths and areas of improvement of their students. The presentation explores instructional approaches that utilized the Interim Assessment Viewing System and the Hand Scoring Training Guides and Exemplars, and outlines ways LEAs can support teachers in improving instruction as well as professional development.
- Interim Assessment Session Notetaking Handout (DOC)
- Observation Handout (DOC)
- Interim Assessments Planning Tool (DOC)
Implementing Formative Assessment Practices with Support from the Smarter Balanced Digital Library
This session explores how the Smarter Balanced Digital Library can support formative assessment practices in the classroom. The presentation provides an overview of the Smarter Balanced Digital Library, focusing on ways its resources support teachers in implementing formative assessment practices. A session activity allows participants to work with features such as the Digital Library Connections, Playlists, and Professional Learning and Instructional Learning Series, and identify ways the Digital Library can support implementation of formative assessment practices.
- Formative Assessment Session Notetaking Handout (PDF)
- Formative Assessment and Digital Library Planning Tool (DOC)
Creating a Standard Process for Identifying Students for Designated Supports
This session outlines the categories of supports and the guidelines for the Individual Student Assessment Accessibility Profile (ISAAP) process. The presentation focuses on recommended steps in the development and implementation of a systematic LEA process for the equitable use of designated supports. The session emphasizes procedures and practices for identifying students that might benefit from the use of designated supports, as well as an opportunity to match available supports to individual student needs.
- Equity Activity (DOC)
- Process Matrix (DOC)
- Suggested Timeline for use of Universal Tools, Designated Supports, and Accommodations (UDAs) (PDF)
- Selection Form (PDF)
- Team Matrix (DOC)
- Standard Process for Identifying Students Planning Tool (DOC)
Designated Supports for English Learners
This session reviews specific Smarter Balanced designated supports for English learner students, and focuses on the procedures and practices for identifying designated supports for English learner students, and the ways designated supports can benefit and hinder English learner student performance. The presentation includes an engagement activity for participants to analyze key student characteristics and match appropriate designated supports.
- English Language Arts/ English Language Development Framework figure 1.2 (PDF)
- Smarter Balanced Usability, Accessibility, and Accommodations Guidelines (PDF)
- Selection Form (PDF)
- Activity Trading Cards (PDF)
- Accessibility Supports Planning Tool (DOC)
Utilizing Universal Tools, Designated Supports, and Accommodations in Daily Classroom Practice
This session reviews the available California accessibility supports and the Individual Student Assessment Accessibility Profile (ISAAP) framework in matching individual student learning characteristics to the available CAASPP accessibility supports. The presentation outlines ways to connect the use of those supports to classroom practice.
- Accessibility Supports Session Notetaking Handout (PDF)
- Accessibility Resource Checklist (PDF)
- Resources and Practices Comparison Crosswalk (PDF)
- Student Identification Accessibility Selection Tool (PDF)
- Student/Teacher Accessibility Journal (PDF)
- Student Interview Form (PDF)
- Accessibility Planning Tool (PDF)