CAASPP Update, Issue 85California Assessment of Student Performance and Progress (CAASPP) e-mail update sent out on January 21, 2015.
The California Department of Education (CDE) California Assessment of Student Performance and Progress (CAASPP) Update is a regular e-mail that focuses primarily on the Smarter Balanced assessments, which are a major component of the CAASPP system. Please forward this email to any educators in your local educational agency (LEA) who would be interested in or benefit from this information.
In preparing to administer the Smarter Balanced summative assessments for English language arts/literacy and mathematics, be sure to visit the CDE CAASPP System web page and CAASPP website for new and updated resources and information.
- Beginning January 26, 2015, in-person workshops for the online test administrations will be held in locations throughout the state. Each LEA CAASPP Coordinator and one more staff person (e.g., technology coordinator) from the LEA may sign up to attend an in-person Online Test Administration Workshop . In addition, on January 28, 2015 at 1:00 p.m., a live webcast of the Test Administration Workshop will be provided on the CAASPP website .The Test Administration Manual should also be available by this date.
Note: If you are the LEA CAASPP Coordinator, make sure your Site Coordinators and Test Administrators have been added as users in the Test Operations Management System (TOMS); that they have signed the required security affidavit; and that they have logged in, updated their password, and begun verifying their students and the demographic data in TOMS.
January 28, 2015 is the much-anticipated target release date for the Interim Assessments! On this date, the Interim Comprehensive Assessments (ICAs), select Interim Assessment Blocks (IABs), and the Interim Handscoring Module will be available. Interim Assessment student reports will be available in late February. Learn all about these resources, which will be available in just a few days, by viewing the January 15, 2015 Interim Assessment webcast (see link below).
- View the Smarter Balanced Interim Assessments: Part I webcast [Note, the preceding web address is no longer valid.] and download the PowerPoint from the January 15, 2015 Smarter Balanced Interim Assessments: Part I webinar. Part II is scheduled for January 28, 2015 at 9:00 a.m. It will be available for viewing from the Training tab on the CAASPP website , and requires no special logon. Mark your calendars!
Note: If you are the LEA CAASPP or Site Coordinator, make sure all of your teachers, including those in the non-summative tested grades, are soon given access to TOMS as Test Administrators. This will permit all teachers to get access to the tools needed to administer and score the Interim Assessments once they become available. As Test Administrators, they will also need to sign security affidavits and, once they receive access to TOMS, can begin verifying their students and the demographic data.
The Smarter Balanced Digital Library is an important collection of online resources for K–12 teachers using the formative assessment process to adjust teaching in ways that improve and enhance student learning of the knowledge and skills in the standards. Since it went operational in October 2014, more than 2,000 resources have been added to the Digital Library. The fact sheet and slide show (see links below) can be shared with anyone interested in learning more about the Digital Library, including educators, parents and guardians, school board members, and community representatives.
- View and share the latest Digital Library Fact Sheet. [Note, the preceding web address is no longer valid.]
- Learn more about the Digital Library features and content through the recorded tour that includes three sample resources in the Digital Library slide show. [Note, the preceding web address is no longer valid.]
- With the release of the Interim Assessments, educators will want to check out one of the newest resources in the Digital Library, a 15-minute interactive module entitled “Using Interim Assessment Blocks to Support Teaching and Learning.”
- Questions about the Digital Library, including how to register new users, should be directed to the Digital Library Help Desk at 855-631-1510.
Note: If you are the LEA CAASPP Coordinator and have not yet registered teachers to access the Digital Library, you can register your teachers by referring to the instructions in the Digital Library Coordinator Guide and resource materials LEA CAASPP Coordinators were e-mailed by the CDE on October 8, 2014 (and again on January 13, 2015). If you have questions about CalTAC@ets.org.
To join the CDE CAASPP/Smarter Balanced email list, send a blank email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Additional information about CAASPP system and Smarter Balanced activities is available on the CDE CAASPP System web page.
Questions about the CAASPP system assessments should be directed to 800-955-2954 or by email to CalTAC@ets.org. Questions about the Digital Library should be directed to the Digital Library Help Desk at 855-631-1510 or by email to CalTAC@ets.org.