CAASPP Update, Issue 110California Assessment of Student Performance and Progress (CAASPP) e-mail update sent out on July 15, 2015.
The California Assessment of Student Performance and Progress (CAASPP) Update, from the California Department of Education (CDE), is a regular email for K–12 educators, including testing coordinators, that focuses primarily on the Smarter Balanced assessments, which are a major component of the CAASPP system. CAASPP also includes the California Alternate Assessments and science assessments. Please forward this email to any educators in your local educational agency (LEA) who would be interested in or benefit from this information.
In this issue:
- Reminder: Scheduled Downtime for CAASPP Online Systems
- Summative Assessments
- Interim Assessment System Enhancements for 2015–16
- New Digital Library Training Video Now Available
Reminder: Scheduled Downtime for CAASPP Online Systems
The following online systems for the CAASPP will experience downtime from Saturday, August 1, through Sunday, August 9: Test Administrator (TA) Interface; Online Reporting System (ORS); Interim Assessment Hand Scoring System (IAHSS); Appeals System.
During this scheduled downtime:
- Interim assessments will not be available.
- All incomplete tests (summative and interim) will be removed from the test delivery system.
- Incomplete summative tests will be scored and returned within the standard four-week window following closure on July 31.
- Incomplete interim tests containing items that need to be hand scored will not receive results in the Interim Assessment Reporting System.
- All 2014–15 completion status data will be removed from the ORS.
- All 2014–15 interim assessment student responses will be removed from the IAHSS.
The ORS will display results as of July 31. The only date on which the ORS will not be viewable is August 7.
In preparation for the downtime, LEAs are strongly advised to:
- Notify all TAs and test site coordinators who may want to access the systems listed above of the upcoming downtime and impact of the downtime.
- Download student completion data from the ORS before they are removed. Follow the instructions in the Completion Status User Guide (PDF) to download student completion data before they are removed.
- Ensure that all interim assessment hand scoring is complete in the IAHSS.
On Monday, August 10, all systems will be back up, and interim assessment testing can begin for the 2015–16 school year.
The scale score ranges for the Smarter Balanced English Language Arts/Literacy and Mathematics, by Content Area and Grade Level, are now available on the Smarter Balanced Reporting Scores web page . More information about the student score reports can be found on the CDE CAASPP Student Score Report web page.
Information regarding the public release schedule will be provided soon to Superintendents and LEA CAASPP coordinators.
Interim Assessment System Enhancements for 2015–16
On August 10, 2015, LEAs may begin administering the interim assessments for the 2015–16 school year. At that time, the following enhancements to the interim assessment system will be available:
- LEAs may administer the interim comprehensive assessments (ICAs) up to three times per student and the interim assessment blocks (IABs) an unlimited number of times. This is an increase from the limit of two opportunities that was in place for the ICAs and IABs during the 2014–15 school year.
- LEAs may administer interim assessments for any grade level to any student. This is a change from the restricted availability of the interim assessments that was in place during the 2014–15 school year (i.e., availability at enrolled grade level, one grade level below enrolled grade, and one grade level above enrolled grade).
The July 8, 2015 letter sent from the CDE to LEA CAASPP coordinators explains these enhancements and the associated August 1–9, 2015 system downtime and is available on the CDE Interim Assessments web page.
New Digital Library Training Video Now Available
The CDE is pleased to announce a new training video for Digital Library users titled, Exploring the Smarter Balanced Digital Library. This 29-minute video is presented in three segments:
- Segment 1 describes the four attributes of the formative assessment process.
- Segment 2 provides instructions for logging into and navigating the Digital Library.
- Segment 3 demonstrates the cross-state collaboration features of the Digital Library.
LEAs are encouraged to promote this video to all of their K–12 educators who may be interested in learning more about the Digital Library. This new training video, as well as other Digital Library resources, are available on the CDE Digital Library web page.
To join the CDE CAASPP email list, send a blank messagel to firstname.lastname@example.org. Additional information about the CAASPP system and Smarter Balanced activities is available on the CDE CAASPP System web page. Questions about the CAASPP system assessments should be directed by phone to 800-955-2954, or by email to CalTAC@ets.org. Questions about the Digital Library should be directed to the Digital Library Help Desk by phone at 855-631-1510 or by email at CalTAC@ets.org.